Will's Reviews > The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Sep 30, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in September, 2009

The Princess Bride is without a doubt my favorite movie, and for years I've been intending to read this book. I finally got around to it now, and I wish I read it long ago. Mostly because I wonder if I would have enjoyed it better if I hadn't delayed as long.

This is not to say that the book is bad by any stretch of the imagination, the book is good and enjoyable. The characters are wonderful and the tale is magnificent. But to me it fails to compare to the movie, in a way it now feels that Goldman took the movie as a chance to improve on his work and create the exception to the rule of book movies (That movies based upon books are never as good as, or better than the source material.)

One of my grievances is the way the author interrupts the work to include his fictional tales of his past experiences with the book. They feel like interruptions, and do much to take you out of the tale, especially in the way that he doesn't let the story itself tell it's tale at points. It feels like a useless gimmick in the book. I will admit that this exists in the movie version as well, but he found a way to weave it into the tale better, while also cutting down upon the interruptions, of which his novel contained far too many.

Overall I found it to be an enjoyable book, but not one that would be on the top of my recommended list, or even on the top of my "books that have been turned into movies" list, despite liking the resulting movie more than that of many other book movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Bride.

09/30/2009 page 282