Sharon's Reviews > Tell Me a Secret

Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala

Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: own, review-copy, tenners, favorite-books, favorites
Read from March 11 to 12, 2010

Have you ever read a book that made you want to leap into its pages and throw cats at the characters? No, well I guarantee that Tell Me A Secret will change that. I can't remember the last time a book pissed me off so much. I don't mean this in a negative way. Sometimes it is good when a book pisses you off. I gave Tell Me a Secret 5 purrs because I cannot remember the last time I became so emotionally invested in a book. I experienced anger, sadness, and happiness at different periods throughout the book. I even found myself getting a little teary eyed a couple of times (actually cried like a baby shhh...).

Miranda is such a well written character that you cannot help but react emotionally. The loss of her sister Xanda leads her to make some very stupid choices. One of which is ditching a long-time friend to become besties with the ultimate mean girl. Looking for a replacement for her sister, Miranda instead winds up pregnant and friendless. There were time when I wanted to throw a cat at Miranda for being so stupid, but alas I loved her too much to stay mad at her. Miranda was impossible for me now to like because she was so strong. I don't think I could have handled her situation as well as she did.

It also doesn't help Miranda that her family is completely dysfunctional. Miranda basically has no one to help her through her pregnancy until she meets a new friend at work. I thought that the issue of teen pregnancy was handled rather well in Tell Me a Secret. Miranda considers her baby to be a replacement on sorts for his dead sister, but the author never shies away from the negatives of being a teen mom. Miranda's pregnancy is never romanticized nor glamorized.

Miranda's relationship with her family is very complex. Her mother is a judgmental bitch and her father is emotionally distant. However, as Miranda's pregnancy progresses her relationship with her family changes drastically. By the end of the story they come to an understanding of sorts. Though I honestly don't know how Miranda could ever forgive her mother for some of the things she did.

I could go on and on about how amazing this book was, but I don't want to bore you all. Tell Me a Secret was a real page turner. The pacing and format of it was perfect. I was never bored or confused by anything that was happening. I pretty much picked Tell Me a Secret up and didn't put it down again until I was finished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me a Secret.

03/11/2010 page 46
03/11/2010 page 69
21.56% "Ohmygod what a horrible woman"
03/12/2010 page 124
38.75% "Grrrrrrrr!"
03/12/2010 page 174
54.37% "Omg im crying!" 1 comment
03/12/2010 page 207
64.69% "O_O"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Coco (new) - added it

Coco Nice review! Very funny about the throwing cats. I can't wait to read this book!

Good Golly Miss Holly I've never heard the expression "throwing cats" but I loved hearing it in this review. I cannot believe you had such anger towards this book but it still managed to receive 5 stars. I must pick up this book and pretty much any book featuring teen pregnancy is interesting to me :)