Pam's Reviews > Julie of the Wolves

Sep 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: children-s, fiction
Read in September, 2009

I read this book as a read-aloud and the writing is smooth and often melodious. The story of the Eskimo girl Miyax, or Julie as she is known in English, is about the end of the traditional way of living for the Eskimo. After marrying, she runs away intent on making her way to San Francisco and her pen pal Amy. Along the way she is lost in the Arctic tundra and becomes part of a wolf pack. The description of the wolves and their pack behavior, as well as the descriptions of how Miyax survives living off the land using Eskimo practices her father taught her are fascinating and actually keep you interested. The ending is thoughtful and though not a "happy-ever-after" finish, it is realistic and satisfying to adults. From a child's perspective they enjoy the beginning and middle of the story more than the end with reality intruding and providing a bleaker view of life and the pressures of change that the modern world can impose even in the Arctic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie of the Wolves.

Andrea I loved this book! I still have it on my bookshelf and read it periodically. Have you tried Caddie Woodlawn or The Giver? Both of those are right up there with Julie of the wolves for me.

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Yeah those books are great too! Saw Lois Lowry speak this weekend, she is amazing.