Kathrina's Reviews > Un Lun Dun

Un Lun Dun by China Miéville

Sep 30, 09

bookshelves: great-literary-fiction, books-i-read-with-my-kids, british
Read in September, 2009

After reading some excellent reviews of The City and the City, I wanted to read Mieville right away. Of course the library copy is checked out with four holds, so I picked up Un Lun Dun for the mean time. What a fun read! It didn't have the sophistication I was expecting in Mieville's writing, but this is a teen book, so perhaps Mieville stepped back a bit on this one and just had some fun. You can tell his influences right away -- Phantom Tollbooth, Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, but he enjoys throwing genre devices on their heads. There were points where I felt maybe he was allowing the literary puns to drive the story a bit too much (unbrellas, at first a cute play on words, become a major plot-driving force), but the unrelenting adventure kept me not worrying too much about that. Deeba is a fun character, but, I have to whine a little, can she please improve her grammar?! I know that's supposed to make her more realistic -- likeably flawed -- but it really started to annoy me. Other than that, I liked it enough to buy a copy that I'll be giving my ten-year-old son for Christmas. (Don't tell...)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Un Lun Dun.

09/27/2009 page 150