Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Naked Empire

Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind

Sep 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009, 4-stars, fantasy, owned-physical-book
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

I read the first 6 books of the Sword in Truth series years ago and LOVED them. Especially the first three are some of my all-time favourite books. Then I read Pillars of Creation... Terry Goodkind really dropped the ball there. I missed Kahlan and Richard as the main protagonists and it just didn't work for me, so I never got around to reading the rest of the series.

Now that they're all out, I figured it was time to finish up - I owed it to the first books ;)

And with Naked Empire Goodkind got back on the horse. Just as captivating as the first 6 books, it drew me right in, and I finished the 660 pages in just two days. I'm now utterly immersed in the universe and wish I had time to reread the rest of the series.

That's not to say it didn't have its flaws. I certainly don't remember the first books as having this much monologuing, and there were some issues I felt weren't properly explained near the end of the book - it seemed like that was more a case of forgetfulness than because Goodkind couldn't figure out how to explain it though.

So yes, I do see the book's short-comings... but I still loved it. This is a 4.5 book for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Empire.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I really didn't like this one - but you knew that already ;) Richard was insufferable in this one. What exactly made you love this one?

Maria M. Elmvang I think it was a mixture of two things:

I'd really, really disliked the previous book, so my expectations were less than zero - it could only surpass them.

It had been at least 6 years since I last read a new book in the series - I was ready for something new! ;-)

It's certainly not as good as 1-6, but it was captivating enough that I couldn't put it down, and I actually didn't find Richard insufferable at all ;)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) It does help when expectations are so low. I actually quite liked the book after this one, forget what it was called, because this one pissed me off so much. I thought it had some interesting ideas and all, it's just the smug way Goodkind approaches it and Richard's moralising and "I'm amazing and I'm always right and everyone should listen to me" while still being oh so modest and misunderstood and "boy I have a lot of responsibilities on my shoulders but I have a vision for a perfect capitalist society so let's go fight some more communism while spreading the good word" crap that really lets it down.

But hey, it sure gets a reaction from me so it wasn't dull eh? ;) Still need to finish this series...

Maria M. Elmvang I guess I just don't mind Richard's moralising too much... mostly because I don't notice it. Granted, with all the monologues it was hard to miss in this one, but I've long ago discovered that I'm naive enough just to take these things at face value, rather than relate them to "real world" politics ;-)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I wouldn't call that naive so much as disinterested? Goodkind's politics are just so in-my-face ever since book, ah, 6 was it? that I find it impossible to ignore it. But I've always read fantasy for more than just entertaining/engaging stories. Once you start it's hard to stop!!