Rach's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: recommended, ebook, book-becomes-movie, challenge-10-fall, 2010, made-me-cry
Read from November 28 to 29, 2010

When I started reading this book, I remember having a vague feeling that it was going to be sad, as many of Nicholas Sparks' books are. I had no clue, though, how heartbreakingly sad and real it would end up being. Ronnie's journey with her Dad especially hit home for me, not because my dad and I were ever estranged like Ronnie and Steve were, or because my parents are divorced, because they aren't, but because my dad also had cancer when I was 18. Luckily, our story ended differently and my dad recovered and has been cancer-free for over 10 years. Living through the last months of Steve's life with Ronnie, though, gave me a taste of what could have easily happen, and makes me even more grateful that I still have my dad around.

As for the romantical part of the story, Ronnie and Will's relationship always felt real - they simply enjoyed spending time together, regardless of where they both came from. Neither are perfect, but they both realize they'd rather face life together than alone. Sure, it might seem impossible to fall in love at 18, but it's nice to believe in the fairy tale. Most of all, I am relieved that Marcus got what he deserved. What a creep. I knew it was him all along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.