Marija's Reviews > Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale

Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems

Sep 26, 09

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in September, 2009

Knuffle Bunny is the type of book you just can't help but like. Anyone who has ever has a special toy will enjoy looking through this book and following the character Trixie, a toddler whose language skills are yet to be developed. Trixie's dad takes her through the city as he does his errands, and somewehre along the way her special Knuffle Bunny disappears. The illustrations in this book are key to the story because they articulate the different emotions young Trixie is experiencing. With her limited vocabulary she can only use her facial expressions and body language to express her thoughts. This is a great pre-school read aloud because the students will be able to understand the visual story through the illustrations, but they will also hear the words which they can then assiciate to the story. I personally thought the black and white photo illustrations of the city were very nice and really gave the story a realistic touch. There is also a sequel book "Knuffle Bunny Too" which is just as charming as this one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knuffle Bunny.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Draper What are some qualities you consider when picking out a pre school read aloud book?

Marija I try to find books that the children can relate to and I look for books with simple language so the children can follow along with the story.I find that books with well done illustrations help the children connect words to the story and help them sometimes see the emotions of the characters.

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette I love these books, too! I think the blend of the cartoon-type illustrations with the black and white photographic background is really interesting.

message 1: by Al_jessica (new)

Al_jessica Eaton I teach 3rd grade and Mo Willems is one of my students' favorite authors. His sense of humor and his ability to relate to children is astounding. I love using Knuffle Bunny to help teach my students inferencing skills. As you stated, so much of the story is conveyed through the pictures and through Trixie's reactions. This helps my students see how author's tell us things without directly stating them.