Rachel's Reviews > The Rifts of Rime

The Rifts of Rime by Steven L. Peck

Sep 22, 13

Read in September, 2013

I never got into the Redwall books when I was a kid, and I think it was because they were so complicated and political. The first 50 pages were tough, and I only got through them because of my faith in the author's storytelling abilities. I'm glad I took the time to figure out all the new terms though, because it was worth it.

A few things set The Rifts of Rime apart from other anthropomorphic animal tales. The fact that these people are animals is in the forefront of their gestures, speech, and yes, even poetry. I loved how the animals' languages differed in not only sound, but also their use of smell and space. I appreciated the cursing that revolved around parasites like ticks and fleas, and the idioms that featured acorns and nut caches. The "quickened" beings (those blessed with the capability of speech) have a common religion not unlike Mormonism, and I was touched by the Folk's contemplation of their religious stories as literal, metaphorical, or utilitarian; usually I find fantasy religions cheesy.

While I loved all the aspects of a semi-scientific fantasy animal world, this is still a young adult novel, and there are a few characters who are plain evil without much of an explanation about what their motivations are. However (spoiler), some of the evil's followers are dealt with in a way that encourages children to think about conflict and good/evil in a more sophisticated way, so I can't fault the story too much there.

I wish that Peck had cut the Prologue and introduced the world's information a little more gradually (although maybe that would have made the pace too slow and the book too long?). I find the world charming and with meaningful parallels to my own, and would be content to read a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rifts of Rime.

09/22/2013 marked as: read