J's Reviews > Acts of Malice

Acts of Malice by Perri O'Shaughnessy

U_50x66
Sep 26, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was my first encounter w. Colo. lawyer Nina Reilly, protagonist whose law practice leads her into a murder mystery. She takes on defense of a criminal client, accused of his own brother's murder. Turns out the charming client (2nd generation ski resort owner) is actually a sicko, which Reilly doesn't learn till near the end of the book.

Unbelievable to me that Reilly, after she knows the client's guilty and how disturbed he really is, still goes w. teen son and her new husband (the prosecutor for the murder case against her client) out to frolic in new snow while the client -- who has already threatened Reilly -- has gone missing.

Her new husband ends up dead, as the psychopathic client -- who feels betrayed by Reilly's fresh marriage -- uses his ski resort know-how to set off an avalanche above the slope where Reilly, hubby and son are innocently frolicking.

Husband ends up dead. Lawyer Reilly ends up, without her knowledge, saved from the client's murder attempt by an unrequited "suitor in the wings." That is Paul, an investigator with whom Reilly has apparently had a past romance. Paul loves her so much that he permanently "removes w. prejudice" the dastardly client, but leaves the scene without disclosing his heroism to the newly widowed lawyer.

It's clearly a set-up so that in a future novel Reilly and Paul can get back together.

Interesting to see watch how tight and overlapping the legal community can be in a small town -- this one in ski country near Lake Tahoe. I'm a resident of LV, NV, so I enjoyed author's descriptions of gaming, northern Nevada, etc.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acts of Malice.