Melindeeloo's Reviews > Dark Slayer

Dark Slayer by Christine Feehan

Nov 12, 2009

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in September, 2009

Dark Slayer twists the series' formula into Something different but something good

Deviating a bit from the normal formula of her other 'Dark' Carpathian books, Feehan's Dark Slayer was a unique entry into the popular long running series and ended up being one of my favorites of Feehan's more recent offerings. Though fans who live for Feehan's uber alpha males may be disappointed, I really liked long time series villain Razvan as he takes a turn in the spotlight. Razvan is no less powerful for being an atypical Capathian, and he is a good fit with his vampire Slaying mate, Ivory Malinov, whose independant streak would be a challenge to even the most domineering and arrogant of the Carpathian males. Both of the starring pair have had enough pain and suffering in their interesting backstories, and in their experiences with family members turning to the darkside, to make them empathetic to the other's struggles and to make them both cherish the gift of a Lifemate.

Other things I really liked: Lots of cameos of old starring pairs are worked in thoughout the story and there are some really cool aspects to Ivory's wolf pack and her magical connection to the wolves. I also liked that Feehan waited longer to consumate the physical part of Razvan and Ivory's pairing, allowing Razvan and Ivory to work through some issues instead of forcing it - and, after a gazillion other books in this series, I had been starting to feel I feel like I had read all of the love scenes many times before, so having less of them here than normal worked better for me and in them Feehan uses a lighter touch with Razvan which made them feel fresher too.

My nits: Yet another chauvinistic stubborn effort to `protect' a `helpless' woman by Gregori. I found his attempt to force Ivory's acceptance of the Carpathians' aid when she had no reason to trust them frustrating - though once Gregori comes to understand Ivory's power, he does give her the respect she deserves and he even gets a few chuckles when other Hunters make the same mistake of underestimating her. I realise that some readers enjoy them, but there are way too many spell-poems for me (I mostly skipped over these and the Carpathian dialog too, I just had to find out what happened next). It also bothered me that Ivory seems a bit diminished when she discovers her feminity - she starts out as a really strong independant character, a true survivor and she is more than competent at slaying ancient vampires and unraveling the evil mega-villain Xavier's spells - and I didn't like that she ends up doubting herself with Razvan. But even with that nit, she is still a great heroine.

So is anyone besides me wondering how long is Feehan going to be able keep this series going? There still several stories I've been waiting for, in this book even more potential leading men hunters are introduced, and I really don't see the overall story arc building up to a big finish. But hey, I'm not the only one still willing to shell out the big bucks and preorder the hardbacks, so who knows - if we're lucky maybe this series will be as immortal as Feehan's Carpathians themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Slayer.