(NS) - Heather Hayman's Reviews > The Colors of Us

The Colors of Us by Karen Katz

Sep 26, 2009

bookshelves: muticultural-literature

The Colors of Us, By Karen Katz, is about a young girl named Lena and her mother who observe variations in the colors of their friends' skin. As Lena looks at the different shades of brown, she starts to compare everyone in terms of delicious food. Suddently their skin turns into chocolate, ginger, honey, peanut butter, pizza crust and more as they stroll though their neighborhood. Colorful illustrations add to the beautiful comparisons in this story aimed towards primary children.

I think that is a wonderful book when introducing children to the world of multiculturalism. It explores the various hues of color in a way that is understood and appealing to children. It provides a very powerful message, along with exposure to different cultures as a way to engage children in further conversation on race and color. The brightly colored pictures and beautiful words only add to this well written book. I cannot wait to make it available to my students as I continue to expand my classroom library with quality works!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colors of Us.