Janell's Reviews > Playing for Pizza

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

Oct 07, 07

liked it
Read in October, 2007

Short review: a nice travelogue/play-by-play in the life of a washed up football player discovering the romance and life changing elixir that is Italy. Long review: I’ve read, or attempted to read, many John Grisham novels since The Firm, including A Time to Kill, which I found more riveting than The Firm, if not as quickly read. But Playing for Pizza was reminiscent of The Firm in that, like an old friend, I’d found the familiar easy prose that made me want to read The Firm in the first place. While Playing for Pizza is not as fast paced, nor in the same genre as The Firm, it did remind me why I like John Grisham’s writing style. And that is something I’d forgotten somewhere between The King of Torts and…well, whatever I’d read just because it had John Grisham’s name on it. This is an easy read that took my mind off of the horrors and injustices I’d felt after watching parts of Ken Burns The War. Didn’t watch The War? Substitute for The War anything that is frustrating or disturbing in your life. A pleasant, relaxing, bubble bath escape to everyday life. I look forward to future non-legal-genre novels by Mr. Grisham (and, his legal genre novels as well - because...he's just a good writer.)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Pizza.