Book Sp(l)ot's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: own, arc, 2010-release
Read in December, 2009

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Courtney Summers' Some Girls Are through Library Thing's Early Reviewer's program--and I'm so glad that I did.

Some Girls Are is a tale of high school bullying (among girls) at, possibly, its worst. Regina Afton is one of the 'Fearsome Fivesome'-the It Girls of her school, but after a rumor starts circulating around school and she's 'frozen out' she sees that as up as she was, she's about to be down.

Reading almost like a Lifetime movie about just how terrible high school girls can be (with plot and depth added in and melodrama taken out), Some Girls Are has possibly the evilest character of any book I've read (supernatural or contemporary). The character I mean (and I'm not mentioning by name on purpose) brought to mind the quote which I think is from Supernatural, "Demons I get, people are crazy," because it was hard to believe she could really be that uncaring and truly mean. And yet, with the story, it wasn't out of place or unbelievable.

The teenagers in the book certainly aren't squeaky clean in the slightest but they also felt not like some out of touch person's view of 'teens today' rather they seemed like real teens at parties, etc.

Regina was a great central character because she really was one of the mean girls and developed from that through the story. She didn't lose her friends and suddenly see the wrongs of her ways and love the 'little people' of high school, she was still a mean girl--just a lonely one. Showing Regina's progression and giving her a past aside from 'she made other people's lives horrible' was what really made this book work, I think.

After reading Courtney Summers' first book Cracked Up to Be and loving it as much as I did, I expected a lot out of Some Girls Are but it delivered.

9/10

thank you to Library Thing Early Reviewers & St Martin's Griffin for the book
(reviews at book-splot.blogspot.com)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly Ooh, I'm jealous! I can't wait to read this one.