Lisa's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy by James B. South

Sep 26, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, own, essays-and-criticism, film-and-telly, non-fic, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my
Recommended for: Louise
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

Hugely informative book that uses Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a tool to examine various schools of philosophical thought. Other than knowing the names of famous philosophers I was largely ignorant of what their various theories entailed, so found this volume of essays incredibly useful in getting the gist.

Some of the essays and points within I agreed with, others not so much, but most were entertaining nonetheless - particular favourites included a look at Nietzschean morality through the character of Faith, Willow as a study of irrationality and Buffy as fascist icon, and if you think that thinking seriously about a show like this is silly (and many of the claims about it overblown), then there's also an essay just for you waiting to wrap it all up.

I think that it says a lot about the show that it can be looked at and enjoyed in so many different ways (not that I needed any more justification as to why my favourite TV show rocks), and this volume has sharpened my appetite for yet another Buffy marathon which I may well be watching with a slightly different eye this time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy.