JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Jan 31, 10

bookshelves: own, 4_stars, z_author_american, on_the_screen, fiction, z_read_in_2010, reviewed, z_setting_us, thriller
Read from January 25 to 27, 2010

Shutter Island is off the coast of Massachusetts, housing an asylum for the criminally insane. As a nasty summer storm brews up, U.S. Marshals Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule cross over to the island to search for an escaped inmate. But Teddy knows that things are not as they seem on Shutter Island.

Ho-lee crap. It's been a while since a book has messed with my head this much. Just as I thought I knew what was going on, a new revelation would come along and knock all my theories out from under me. It all ultimately made sense and brought me deeper into this world, and I have to say that I loved it. I didn't really know what was going on until the very last few pages, and I find that even after I finished it, I'm sitting here thinking, "Well, maybe it still really wasn't what it seemed..." You'll see. I bet almost everyone is surprised by this ending.

The twists and turns were the big draw of this book for me, but I loved Lehane's style. This is the first book I've read of his, but it won't be my last. Shutter Island is set in 1954, and I love the way these marshals speak to each other and so quickly establish common ground through The War. Their speech, their mannerisms, it all fit together to make them feel like real people.

If I say anymore, I'll give something away, so I'll leave it at that. I highly, highly recommend this if you like your thrillers gritty and unpredictable.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.

Kellie I CANNOT WAIT to hear what you have to say about this one! You might need to talk to someone about the end...I am here. :)

JG (The Introverted Reader) Thanks for your support! :)

Kellie Exactly!

Sandi I guess I'll have to check it out next time I go to the library.

The movie trailer looks awesome.

JG (The Introverted Reader) It does, doesn't it?