Jo's Reviews > Everything Must Change

Everything Must Change by Brian D. McLaren

Sep 26, 2009

bookshelves: religious-spiritual
Read in October, 2009

Very interesting. That was my first review because I was too tired that day to articulate what I was thinking upon finishing the book. It's still hard to articulate. Reading this book stretched the way I think of scripture & Jesus. I don't know that I agree with all of it, but I do think its a valuable, important book to read and think about. The ideas are not so radical to me as they are to a lot of reviewer's I've seen, and I agree with him more than I disagree with him.

He has presented an extremely well-researched and clear overview of the gravest issues in the world today, and what followers of Christ should be doing about them. It's not a light read. The book is framed by MCLaren's two most important questions: What are the biggest problems in the world today? and What do the life and teachings of Jesus have to say about these global problems? And, frankly, those are questions that every Christian should be thinking about. This book shows how Christians have accepted a "gospel about Jesus", but we have failed to accept the "better news", the "gospel of Jesus", which is the message of the Kingdom of God here on earth. This is a concept we've been hearing about and discussing alot at church the last year or so. It was interesting to read McLaren's vision and call to action.

I think the best thing about the book is that it makes you think & if you do think, it stretches you. "What are the biggest problems in the world today? and What do the life and teachings of Jesus have to say about these global problems?" I hope to continue to ruminate on these questions and more importantly, to act on what I see as the implications of these questions.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Must Change.

09/26/2009 page 90