A. Bookzilla.'s Reviews > NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

NOT A BOOK by NOT A BOOK

Jan 20, 14

bookshelves: dnf-ed
Read on September 22, 2013

EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.
EDIT 2: Back up.
EDIT 3: For more examples by reviewers who made it through more of the book than I did, check out this, and this.

***************************************************

Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

I never rate my DNFs. Everyone who knows me, knows this. In this case, I think the book deserves it (as per GR guidelines, this review is about the book, not the author.)

Not to beat around the bush, I read up to 20% (ish) at which point I just threw my hands in the air and thought - I THINK I'VE READ ENOUGH.

For those who have read Dusty, the recently popular Twilight fanfiction which you can read (for free) here, step away from this book if you're not a fan of deja-vu.

Why is that?

Let me demonstrate.
"This is my brother, Edward," Alice says, pointing toward the boy with the same color eyes as her. "He swears he's cool because he's a sixth-grader, but he isn't even that awesome."
Edward pushes Alice. "I'm cool." He laughs. "And I'm awesome."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“This is my brother, Bensen,” Ivey said, pointing to you with a flip of her wrist. “He swears he’s cool because he’s a sophomore next year, but he’s not that cool.”
You pushed Ivey, puffing out your chest. “I’m cool.” More laughing. “And awesome.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 466-469). . Kindle Edition.

Ah, but it happens in every book. Two books can think of the same thing, we've seen it over and over.

How about 327050925629 same things? Coincidence?
"Isn't there a boy in that house?" Dad asks, finally putting his paper down on the table.

"A boy? Oh, you mean Edward? He isn't a boy, he's a brother." I stop pulling apart my hair.

Mom laughs, but Dad doesn't.

"I don't feel comfortable allowing you to sleep under the same roof as a boy, Bliss." Dad sits back in his recliner.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“Isn’t there a boy in that family?” Dad asked, finally looking at me, squinting at the last remaining sun peeking from the trees.

“A boy? Oh, well there’s Brady. He’s nine.” I stopped, pulling at my hair in an attempt to appear truthful. Sadie lied. I never did. So now that I was, I tried to think of what she might’ve done in this scenario. I could almost picture her pouty brown eyes.

Mom laughed; she knew what I was doing. It was how she worked him, too, to go shopping last week with Aunt Megs.

“And what about the older one?” Dad put his beer down and looked up at me, his hard brown eyes narrowing. “The one I saw holding your hand as he helped you out of the boat I said I didn’t want you on.”

I knew it was too good to be true. I never got away with anything.

“Oh, uh, well that’s Bensen. Ivey’s older brother.” There was no sense in lying now. It would have only made him mad. “He’s fifteen.”

“I’m not comfortable with you hanging out in their house with him. He’s trouble.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 649-659). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She's wearing a tight blue shirt and a black pencils skirt. Her high-heels tap on the wood as she descends down the steps. Her hair is an unnatural red color, but it's seamlessly curled and styled. And when she smiles, I feel Mom almost cringe.

Alice's mom looks nothing like my mom.

"You must be Renee," the lady with the deep-red hair says, offering her hand.

Mom flattens her curly hair before shaking Mrs. Cullen's hand. "Yes, and your name?" Mom asks kindly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
She was wearing jean shorts and a red tank top. Her hair was that same rich color as Ivey’s, the color of the canyons with lighter highlights throughout.

“You must be Kathy,” the lady said, offering her hand.

“Yes, and your name?” Mom asked kindly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 684-686). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"I'll want to meet some parents," Dad says uncertainly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“I want to meet their parents,” Dad said uncertainly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Location 668). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She'll be fine," Esme says brushing her hand along my long blonde hair;

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
““We’ll take good care of her,” Lindy said, brushing her hand along my long golden locks that hung over my shoulders.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 697-698). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"You're sleeping here? Why?" Edward says and Petey snorts. Ben just laughs. He always does whatever Edward and Petey do.

I think Alice is about to attack them when their mother comes in from outside. She looks over at Edward and makes a noise with her lips. "Edward, have some fucking manners and be polite.

That word again!

"And clean up before your dad gets home," she adds before stepping into the kitchen.

Edward looks embarrassed for being scolded by his mother in front of his friends. He tosses the remote control onto the floor and begins to clean up after himself and his followers.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“You’re staying here? Overnight? Why?” you asked, and Grayden snorted. Brady laughed, trying to fit in. It seemed he always did whatever you and Grayden did. Ivey looked like she was about to smack you when your mom came back inside. She looked over at you, her eyes narrowed. “Bensen, have some fucking manners and be polite.”

Now I understood your language.

You looked embarrassed that your mom scolded you in front of others. Tossing the control at Grayden, you began to clean up.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 711-716). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
Edward peeks his head out of the door. "What's the matter, Bliss?"

"Give me my nail polish, Edward," I demand. There is no way I'm going near his bedroom. My dad would be so upset.

Edward smirks a mischievous smirk. He steps out of his bedroom but remains beside the doorjamb. "I think I'll keep it, strawberry-blonde."

I make a face. "Give it back."

He tosses it into the air. "Say please."

"Please."

"Say it again."

"Edward," someone says from behind me in an all-authoritative tone, "give the poor girl her nail polish back."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“What’s the matter, sweet Sophie? You scared to get wet?”

“Give me my shirt, Bensen,” I demanded, trying to cover myself by wrapping my arms around my waist.

You smirked, mischievously. “I think I’ll keep it.”

I made a face as I neared you. “Give it back. I only have that one with me.”

You laughed as if my thinking you would give it back so easily was absurd.

“You’re not very funny.”

“Oh, yes I am. I’m very funny.” You smiled, your cheeks glowing a little from the sun. “And sexy.”

“Nope.” I blushed.

“You’re not.”

“Oh, what do you know? You’re thirteen.”

You tossed the wet fabric in the air. It slapped against the water in front of you. “Say please.”

“Please.”

“Say it again.” You reached over and touched my cheek and for a brief moment, and I thought you might kiss me. My stomach dropped at the thought.

“Bensen,” someone said from behind me in an authoritative tone, “give the girl back her shirt.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 732-744). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************

This is where I stopped, because really. I mean... I don't know. Speechless, stunned, you name it...

It's not only bits and pieces, entire scenes are happening the same, but maybe with just a word or two, added here or there, the names changed.

Sigh.

If I'm wrong, and the book can prove this is her original work, I will gladly take my review down.
294 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOT A BOOK.

09/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/22/2013
20.0% "Can't believe what I'm reading. Like, I'm literally stunned here.

DNF."
09/22/2013 marked as: read
09/22/2013 marked as: dnf-ed

message 251: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Her Facebook is still there. She has removed her comment and you can't write on her wall..but up until 5 mins ago it's still there

message 252: by Erin (new)

Erin Elaine, her author page is gone, but her personal page is still there.

message 253: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Erin wrote: "Elaine, her author page is gone, but her personal page is still there."

Ok, I didn't know she had 2 accounts.. Thanks

Katie(babs) Dear Author has picked it up and it's looking very bad for Shey http://dearauthor.com/news/monday-new...

Carolamex I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!

message 256: by Has (new)

Has Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because of the fact she plagiarised fanfiction. It was not copyrighted and there's a grey area about that - one of the ways to get this down is for the original ficcers to sue her. And oh man this is harming fanfiction and fandom as a whole.

Stahl probably thought the only way to break out was to be prolific but instead of writing her own original stories she decided to scrape fanfiction. And it she does have a past on stealing other works during her fandom days. Her successes has worked because she's now repped by Trident (although that will go out of the window even if the book isn't taken down) and no publisher worth their salt will pick her. And if she has any book movie/tv deals in place that will also go out.

I think she is going to try to ride it out and deny everything because she knows its more difficult since she stole from fanfiction.

Katie(babs) Has wrote: "Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because of the fact she plagiaris..."

you really think Shey will be punished for this? Didn't happen to Cassandra Clare. I hope a lawsuit is pending because as P2P fan fiction continues to grow, I see this happening a lot more. Perhaps fan fiction writers should copyright their fan fiction? Or can they do that?

message 258: by Susan (new)

Susan Has wrote: "Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because of the fact she plagiaris..."

Can you explain why you feel this is hurting fanfiction and the fandom because I honestly don't understand. I see readers and the fandom pulling together behind the two original authors to right a wrong. There's this rally for justice in light of extremely strong evidence of plagiarism from readers and other writers.

message 259: by Kala (new) - rated it 1 star

Kala As far as I'm aware, CC plagiarized in her fanfiction, not in her published works. Not that it's "okay" but that's probably why nothing has happened to her.

message 260: by Has (new)

Has That's the thing! It opens up a huge can of worms, but the original writers be it original fic or fanfic do have the right of that copyright even if its based on fanfiction. I remember EL James posting a disclaimer on her MOTU fic which turned later to be 50 Shades had her saying she didn't own the world but the characters. In that sense her writing is her own and she did go after those who posted the MOTU on fanfiction.net.

But like I say I bet this is the cusp of the iceberg because its so easy to steal and scrap fanfic or original stories that are posted free online. And that's a real shame because people who have done so have launched into successful careers.

Carolamex Well, bottom line is that she has to take the book down, Trident needs to be informed, and she should return all the money she's made from this to the people that bought the book. I understand Mary and Sarah are not interested on getting any money out of this but getting their work recognized and this woman to apologize for what she has done. Also, the fact that someone here has the original manuscript ( prior editor) of the racer series where she brought up the similarities with MoBS and that she had to bring legal action to detach herself from the stories/published books speaks VOLUMES about this woman. It's beyond shameful what she is doing and ding, ding, ding, Time's OUT!

message 262: by Has (new)

Has Susan wrote: "Has wrote: "Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because of the fact s..."

There's reports of people pulling their fics online because of being afraid their stories will be scraped. This is not the first time this has happened and its only being highlighted because of the success of the author and the popularity of that fic. When people pull their fics by the way - proof of the time-line is also removed and it is harder to prove that it was stolen.

Yes there's a big outcry but who is to say that Stahl can disappear and return under a new name and identity? And do the same again. She's damaged herself big time but it wont stop her from doing this again with new identity.

Ideally sites that sells self published books and even pubs need to check manuscripts for plagiarism. Because this problem is going to get worse.

message 263: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Trobaugh I sent an email to Trident last night.

@Max: I think you should send that edited manuscript to Hunterhunting. She deserves the royalties from the book Shey published if she stole heavily from her.

@ Has Unfortunately its true, which is the worst thing they can do. If your story is plagiarized, DO NOT TAKE IT DOWN FROM FFN! That is your PROOF that the story belongs to you. The date stamp is the indisputable proof you need to show that you posted the story first. Please, tell your friends if this happens to them. Removing the story will not protect you because any thieves have already taken what they needed; pulling the story only hurts your chances of getting the stolen story removed.

message 264: by Jo ❤ (new) - added it

Jo ❤ Max wrote: "I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the "similarities" of other fanfiction in her stories. Delayed Penalty "borrowed" heavily from HunterHunting's "The Misapprehension of Bella Swan Regarding the..."

OMG. Thank you!

message 265: by Susan (new)

Susan Has wrote: "Susan wrote: "Has wrote: "Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because..."

I hadn't thought of her coming back under another name. I guess I hadn't considered someone stooping that low...but then, how low can you go? We may be about to find out.

message 266: by Has (new)

Has Oh I she's riding this out - if she was smart. She would have posted a heartfelt apology. Pull ANY of the books that had plagiarised content and refund the money. And then she MAY actually have a semblance of a career if she avoids stealing from now on. But ignoring, deleting comments and then nuking her FB page is not going to stop this mess. It will get picked up by major bloggers, the media since she's now repped by Trident who I bet her agent is drinking right now.

message 267: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Why would she do this? I loved her other books! I am so disappointed right now.

message 268: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Blythe wrote: "Why would she do this? I loved her other books! I am so disappointed right now."

Her other books were plagiarized as well.

message 269: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Nease OMG all of her books are gone from amazon

message 270: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Amy wrote: "OMG all of her books are gone from amazon"

Bout time! Maybe her publisher finally decided to pull the plug on her shit

Katie(babs) WTG for Amazon working fast to take down the books http://www.amazon.com/Shey-Stahl/e/B0...

A. Bookzilla. She was self-published.

message 273: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Her other books too?. What?

message 274: by Jo ❤ (new) - added it

Jo ❤ Amy wrote: "OMG all of her books are gone from amazon"

Thank goodness.

message 275: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I loved Waiting for You. I am shocked

message 276: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Blythe wrote: "Her other books too?. What?"

Yes go back to the previous page and check out Max's comment

message 277: by Has (new)

Has I'm still seeing her Nascar books. Were there any Nascar Twilight fanfic? :P

message 278: by Has (last edited Sep 23, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Has Ohh yes its gone now. And I checked Amazon UK and they're gone from there as well.

Kelli C for "Cross" Kari wrote: "Just because a title is a duplicate doesn't mean its plagiarized. As for whether or not this was plagiarized? I honestly doubt that it was. The story is nothing like Twilight....there are no sim..."

great comment!

message 280: by Susan (new)

Susan Kelli C wrote: "Kari wrote: "Just because a title is a duplicate doesn't mean its plagiarized. As for whether or not this was plagiarized? I honestly doubt that it was. The story is nothing like Twilight....the..."

The majority of Twilight fan fiction does not follow the Twilight story line but instead uses the characters names only. The storylines are original concepts but even that is not where the story lies with this book. There are excerpts that were taken word for word from Dusty. Not just one word...not just two...but every word. It seems in parts the only thing Shey Stahl changed were the names.

message 281: by Lori (new)

Lori According to some, this is not the first time this author has "borrowed" things from other stories. I'm truly surprised that it's being passed off as original when any idiot can see that it is not her own work.

message 282: by Has (new)

Has Update from Stahl.

Wow she's still not admitting to it and she's innocent.

message 283: by [deleted user] (new)

Has wrote: "Update from Stahl.

Wow she's still not admitting to it and she's innocent."

Jesus Fucking Christ. *shakes head*

message 284: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz This just breaks my heart! I loved her Racing on the Edge series and can't believe she would do something like this. I so hope there is a plausible explanation.

Katie(babs) Nail in coffin is coming....

message 286: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Has wrote: "Update from Stahl.

Wow she's still not admitting to it and she's innocent."

That's just sad. She's making it worse.

message 287: by M. ~ B&B (last edited Sep 23, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

M. ~ B&B Liz wrote: "This just breaks my heart! I loved her Racing on the Edge series and can't believe she would do something like this. I so hope there is a plausible explanation."

She doesn't have an explanation. She just denies. Guess that's easier than making up a good plausible story on why your book shows so much resemblance to someone else's work. I would have a hard time too.

message 288: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna M. ~ Ms Bossy wrote: "Liz wrote: "This just breaks my heart! I loved her Racing on the Edge series and can't believe she would do something like this. I so hope there is a plausible explanation."

She doesn't have an e..."

She's screwed. She has nothing to justify her actions save to deny so. That's what she'll continue doing.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Lori wrote: "According to some, this is not the first time this author has "borrowed" things from other stories. I'm truly surprised that it's being passed off as original when any idiot can see that it is not ..."

On page 6 of the comments the other 'borrowed' stories and original fanfics are noted. I own three of her books, the only one I read, attempted to read, was Delayed Penalty. I DNF'd at 60% because it sucked.

I have Delayed Penalty, Waiting For You and Everything Changes. If anyone wants to borrow them, to do their own comparisons (I don't read fanfic) just shoot me a pm.

Big thank you to Ari and all the others who took the time to write reviews and/or list in details the relevant passages. You guys are awesome. :-)

And Max, thanks for doing the right thing and coming forward. I'm sure, being an editor, it could be detrimental for you to speak out. That's truly admirable.

Way to go, guys. :-)

message 290: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie If it were me and I hadn't done what I had been accused of I wouldn't be removing my books from anywhere. I'd leave them where they are because I would have nothing to worry about. Removing the books seems like admitting you (may) have done something wrong.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Christine wrote: "Oh shit! I bought this already?! *sigh*"

FYI, in instances such as this, 99.% that Amazon will refund, even if beyond the normal 7-day period. Contact Amazon's CS and explain the situation. Sadly, those folks have dealt with this before.

message 292: by Delis (new)

Delis Olivia, please point out what hateful things are being said here. Calling somebody a liar, thief and plagiarizer is not hateful, especially when it's true. The evidence does not lie. Nothing here is being taken too far and I would caution anybody against resorting to making threats of any kind. I do not support any personal attacks on Shey Stahl. I think that behavior is despicable and wrong. Any discussion about her books and the fanfic she plagiarized from is fair game.

message 293: by Susan (last edited Sep 23, 2013 08:08AM) (new)

Susan Mahala wrote: "Olivia wrote: "It seems to me that many are you are upset which I understand but there are very hateful things being said that are being take too far. This is her career. Saying that if it is not..."

Their comments were also on the reviews for, For the Summer on Amazon.com but since the book has been pulled...

message 294: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Olivia wrote: "It seems to me that many are you are upset which I understand but there are very hateful things being said that are being take too far. This is her career. Saying that if it is not true you will ..."

Ugh really Olivia. You people need to know the facts before talking. One of Dusty's authors even posted on here. With all the facts presented to you I can't believe you're still saying "if it's not true". Unless you haven't looked into the facts.

message 295: by Has (new)

Has Also if Shey was innocent - why were her S&S books pulled something she HAS no control over. S&S will probably drop her because of the extent of the plagiarism. She cant continue to deny what she's done especially when she is published by a big publisher. I almost feel sorry for her but she was the one who stole from others and what makes it worse when allegedly did it during her fanfic days she didn't learn from this and carried on with it thinking she would not get caught.

Even if a writer stole content from the most obscure sources they will get caught eventually. It happened to popular historical romance author Cassie Edwards.

message 296: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Christine wrote: "Oh shit! I bought this already?! *sigh*"

You can return it... contact the store you purchased it from and tell them it's plagiarized and you want your money back.

message 297: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Has wrote: "That's the thing! It opens up a huge can of worms, but the original writers be it original fic or fanfic do have the right of that copyright even if its based on fanfiction. I remember EL James pos..."

MOTU and Fifty is the same thing. Same author, same everything...

message 298: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Kendall Okay can someone tell me what she had published by s&s can get only find self pubbed works

message 299: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Katie(babs) wrote: "Has wrote: "Carolamex wrote: "I see her author page too but she deleted all the comments from last night including her. Like this is not even happening! The audacity!!!!"

Its because of the fact s..."

Cassandra Clare published her OWN fan fiction... this woman is publishing OTHER AUTHORS fan fiction. There is a definitive difference.

message 300: by Delis (new)

Delis Barbara, the ESL remark is way off base and uncalled for. I actually agree with that you're saying but I take issue with that.