A. Bookzilla.'s Reviews > NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

Sep 22, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf-ed
Read on September 22, 2013

EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.
EDIT 2: Back up.
EDIT 3: For more examples by reviewers who made it through more of the book than I did, check out this, and this.

***************************************************

Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

I never rate my DNFs. Everyone who knows me, knows this. In this case, I think the book deserves it (as per GR guidelines, this review is about the book, not the author.)

Not to beat around the bush, I read up to 20% (ish) at which point I just threw my hands in the air and thought - I THINK I'VE READ ENOUGH.

For those who have read Dusty, the recently popular Twilight fanfiction which you can read (for free) here, step away from this book if you're not a fan of deja-vu.

Why is that?

Let me demonstrate.
"This is my brother, Edward," Alice says, pointing toward the boy with the same color eyes as her. "He swears he's cool because he's a sixth-grader, but he isn't even that awesome."
Edward pushes Alice. "I'm cool." He laughs. "And I'm awesome."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“This is my brother, Bensen,” Ivey said, pointing to you with a flip of her wrist. “He swears he’s cool because he’s a sophomore next year, but he’s not that cool.”
You pushed Ivey, puffing out your chest. “I’m cool.” More laughing. “And awesome.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 466-469). . Kindle Edition.

Ah, but it happens in every book. Two books can think of the same thing, we've seen it over and over.

How about 327050925629 same things? Coincidence?
"Isn't there a boy in that house?" Dad asks, finally putting his paper down on the table.

"A boy? Oh, you mean Edward? He isn't a boy, he's a brother." I stop pulling apart my hair.

Mom laughs, but Dad doesn't.

"I don't feel comfortable allowing you to sleep under the same roof as a boy, Bliss." Dad sits back in his recliner.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“Isn’t there a boy in that family?” Dad asked, finally looking at me, squinting at the last remaining sun peeking from the trees.

“A boy? Oh, well there’s Brady. He’s nine.” I stopped, pulling at my hair in an attempt to appear truthful. Sadie lied. I never did. So now that I was, I tried to think of what she might’ve done in this scenario. I could almost picture her pouty brown eyes.

Mom laughed; she knew what I was doing. It was how she worked him, too, to go shopping last week with Aunt Megs.

“And what about the older one?” Dad put his beer down and looked up at me, his hard brown eyes narrowing. “The one I saw holding your hand as he helped you out of the boat I said I didn’t want you on.”

I knew it was too good to be true. I never got away with anything.

“Oh, uh, well that’s Bensen. Ivey’s older brother.” There was no sense in lying now. It would have only made him mad. “He’s fifteen.”

“I’m not comfortable with you hanging out in their house with him. He’s trouble.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 649-659). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She's wearing a tight blue shirt and a black pencils skirt. Her high-heels tap on the wood as she descends down the steps. Her hair is an unnatural red color, but it's seamlessly curled and styled. And when she smiles, I feel Mom almost cringe.

Alice's mom looks nothing like my mom.

"You must be Renee," the lady with the deep-red hair says, offering her hand.

Mom flattens her curly hair before shaking Mrs. Cullen's hand. "Yes, and your name?" Mom asks kindly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
She was wearing jean shorts and a red tank top. Her hair was that same rich color as Ivey’s, the color of the canyons with lighter highlights throughout.

“You must be Kathy,” the lady said, offering her hand.

“Yes, and your name?” Mom asked kindly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 684-686). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"I'll want to meet some parents," Dad says uncertainly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“I want to meet their parents,” Dad said uncertainly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Location 668). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She'll be fine," Esme says brushing her hand along my long blonde hair;

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
““We’ll take good care of her,” Lindy said, brushing her hand along my long golden locks that hung over my shoulders.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 697-698). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"You're sleeping here? Why?" Edward says and Petey snorts. Ben just laughs. He always does whatever Edward and Petey do.

I think Alice is about to attack them when their mother comes in from outside. She looks over at Edward and makes a noise with her lips. "Edward, have some fucking manners and be polite.

That word again!

"And clean up before your dad gets home," she adds before stepping into the kitchen.

Edward looks embarrassed for being scolded by his mother in front of his friends. He tosses the remote control onto the floor and begins to clean up after himself and his followers.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“You’re staying here? Overnight? Why?” you asked, and Grayden snorted. Brady laughed, trying to fit in. It seemed he always did whatever you and Grayden did. Ivey looked like she was about to smack you when your mom came back inside. She looked over at you, her eyes narrowed. “Bensen, have some fucking manners and be polite.”

Now I understood your language.

You looked embarrassed that your mom scolded you in front of others. Tossing the control at Grayden, you began to clean up.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 711-716). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
Edward peeks his head out of the door. "What's the matter, Bliss?"

"Give me my nail polish, Edward," I demand. There is no way I'm going near his bedroom. My dad would be so upset.

Edward smirks a mischievous smirk. He steps out of his bedroom but remains beside the doorjamb. "I think I'll keep it, strawberry-blonde."

I make a face. "Give it back."

He tosses it into the air. "Say please."

"Please."

"Say it again."

"Edward," someone says from behind me in an all-authoritative tone, "give the poor girl her nail polish back."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“What’s the matter, sweet Sophie? You scared to get wet?”

“Give me my shirt, Bensen,” I demanded, trying to cover myself by wrapping my arms around my waist.

You smirked, mischievously. “I think I’ll keep it.”

I made a face as I neared you. “Give it back. I only have that one with me.”

You laughed as if my thinking you would give it back so easily was absurd.

“You’re not very funny.”

“Oh, yes I am. I’m very funny.” You smiled, your cheeks glowing a little from the sun. “And sexy.”

“Nope.” I blushed.

“You’re not.”

“Oh, what do you know? You’re thirteen.”

You tossed the wet fabric in the air. It slapped against the water in front of you. “Say please.”

“Please.”

“Say it again.” You reached over and touched my cheek and for a brief moment, and I thought you might kiss me. My stomach dropped at the thought.

“Bensen,” someone said from behind me in an authoritative tone, “give the girl back her shirt.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 732-744). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************

This is where I stopped, because really. I mean... I don't know. Speechless, stunned, you name it...

It's not only bits and pieces, entire scenes are happening the same, but maybe with just a word or two, added here or there, the names changed.

Sigh.

If I'm wrong, and the book can prove this is her original work, I will gladly take my review down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOT A BOOK.

09/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/22/2013
20.0% "Can't believe what I'm reading. Like, I'm literally stunned here.

DNF."
09/22/2013 marked as: read
09/22/2013 marked as: dnf-ed

message 101: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Woods Sorry I'm also a fan of Shey's books. But this book was a bit like Dusty.....

message 102: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan M. ~ Ms Bossy wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of harassement is absolutel..."

You can't reason with them. Especially since it's clear they didn't even read Ari's post.

message 103: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Yeah I just don't get what the hell she means by legal proof. Her eyes not enough? She needs us to go to court before she believes?

message 104: by Susan (new)

Susan How many more paragraphs/chapters need to be posted to constitute proof? One should be enough and would be enough in any college or university. I don't think any reviewer here needs to explain themselves or defend themselves. Shey Stahl does because right now the nearly verbatim examples and side by side comparisons are blatant.

message 105: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Elizabeth http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7659651/1...

Read Dusty. SHE STOLE OUR BOOK!!!

message 106: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Elizabeth ★Yσsвє★ wrote: "Dusty's author doesn't give her real name. Why Shey would risk her reputation doing such a thing? You don't need to be so smart to know that all these things happennig lately is just trying to harm..."

Everyone knows I wrote Dusty. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7659651/1...

look at the dates and compare.

message 107: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Elizabeth Shannon wrote: "I actually do not see the "verbatim" similarities that so many of you speak of. Much like music, there are only so many words to be used. I just think you all are crazy."

Have you ever been stolen from? It sucks.

message 108: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Mary wrote: "★Yσsвє★ wrote: "Dusty's author doesn't give her real name. Why Shey would risk her reputation doing such a thing? You don't need to be so smart to know that all these things happennig lately is j..."

Someone suggested going to her publisher about it. Have you looking into pursuing this?

message 109: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Isn't she self-published?

message 110: by "That's All" Ash (new)

"That's All" Ash LOVE this review, Ari! And thanks for the honesty!

message 111: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B I think someone needs to explain to all these Shey fans what fanfiction means.

message 112: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan M. ~ Ms Bossy wrote: "Isn't she self-published?"

I have no idea. It's just what I saw suggested.

message 113: by Jo ❤ (new) - added it

Jo ❤ OMG It doesn't take a genius to see this blatant plagiarism. This review is more than enough. And there's no conspiracy here.. just people knowing injustice is when they see one.

BTW. We can all do something and let Amazon know about this. Post a review here: http://www.amazon.com/For-the-Summer-...

..and get this stolen work put down. This woman should not earn a single cent by stealing from YellowBella.

Taryn at My Secret Romance I'm pretty sure she is self-pub. I'm almost positive. She released her book for 99 cents. NO publishing house does that on release day.

message 115: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Amen Jo!!!!!
I already put in my complaint.

message 116: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of harassement is absolutely shameful. I th..."

Ari's review stated her own personal reason for not finishing, and she even states she could be wrong. I don't see where this is harassment, and at no point was she rude or obnoxious ... You on the other hand ... could use some manners. You're right, none of us know the facts, we can only go by the content in the story-- I'm not familiar with other ways of determining plagiarism. If you don't appreciate people being quick to judge, then maybe you should wait as well.

message 117: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "I'm pretty sure she is self-pub. I'm almost positive. She released her book for 99 cents. NO publishing house does that on release day."

True. They don't know that there's a $ amount under $9.99

message 118: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of harassement is absolutel..."

That's one thing that's bothering me. Authors/Bloggers are quick to be up in arms to defend the author. That's GREAT! I think it's amazing that we can have each other backs. However, the support I'm seeing is riding on the fact that this is an accusatory, bashing, inflammatory post. That bothers me, because clearly they didn't read it.

message 119: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "★Yσsвє★ wrote: "Dusty's author doesn't give her real name. Why Shey would risk her reputation doing such a thing? You don't need to be so smart to know that all these things happening lately is j..."

Mary, you and Sarah wrote the story together, we all know it. Anyone who looks at the Fan Fiction page can see that clear as day. I'm so mad for both of you right now. Sarah has reported the theft at amazon. Did you too?

Julie Wow! Thank you for the review. Shame on this author!

message 121: by [deleted user] (new)

Stay strong, Mary Elizabeth.

message 122: by Flirty (new) - added it

Flirty Reader This isn't the first author she's done this too.

message 123: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of harassment is absolutely shameful. I th..."

Oh Shannon, honey, lawyers are already writing briefs I'm sure.

message 124: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Sep 22, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of harassement is absolutel..."

Kristen- You know how this goes, girlfriend. All her fans and friends are going to jump on and say she was attacked, the book was attacked, attack, attack, attack, blame goodreads, goodreads is a piece of shit, and more. I'm still finding it hard to believe that Shey, who is a bestselling author, could or would do this, but nothing surprises me anymore. I mean, it's nearly word for word. :/ Goodreads gets blamed for everything these days when a lot of the times it's shedding light on things we would've never known. It's a joke!

It's really not hard to figure out. Check the dates. Dusty was written years ago, like 2011 or something. For The Summer was written probably a few months ago and published yesterday. How could Dusty have been a copy of a book that hadn't even come out yet? Does that make any sense? It appears as though FTS was blatantly copied. How people can't see that is beyond me.

Just blame Goodreads. It's the easiest out.

message 125: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Amazon will return your money...

Bookhooking (Tanya Childress) I am shocked and saddened by this. It appears to still be up on Amazon I just looked ...gosh I just don't know what to say

message 127: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me - that they allow this kind of har..."

Perfectly said, Taryn. And it's sad, because in this case, Goodreads wins. Instead of verifying the truth, they just are quick to blame GR. It's sad.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] o.O

This is like a textbook example of Plagiarism. How one could even begin to defend that is..well quite beyond my capacity of thought.

Kudos to you, keep the review up.

message 129: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Grack21 wrote: "o.O

Kudos to you, keep the review up."

To be honest, I don't think the defenders are actually reading the review. They're just in defense mode.

message 130: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Sep 22, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of goodreads for me..."

EVERYONE blames Goodreads, Tessa! It really is the easiest out. Goodreads isn't making indies look bad, they make themselves look bad.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Yes, I imagine the rabid fans are incoming. I've seen this kind of thing before, although bizarrely it seems to happen in the fantasy/sci community a lot more, but I digress.

message 132: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really shame on you. That is the end of go..."

Yep, exactly!!! There are what? 20+ million readers here. They can't follow each and every one. And in this case... it's blatant. And really, really sad.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. Just really s..."

It is sad, Tessa. Makes me question her other books now, ones I've been wanting to read...

message 134: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I'm just going to say this: she's not the first established author that has stolen concepts, plot points and details from fanfiction- specifically popular twilight fanfics. It seems that people believe fanfic is free game for anyone to steal it because it isn't considered a legit medium in the first place.

message 135: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "She isn't ruining her career YOU ARE!!! Shame on you people. ..."

Someone posted another link about a different book that had the same issue. I haven't read any of them so I can't comment.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Stephanie wrote: "I'm just going to say this: she's not the first established author that has stolen concepts, plot points and details from fanfiction- specifically popular twilight fanfics. It seems that people ..."

Sure, but that doesn't make it right. Ever.

Bitchie!!! on books Concepts and ideas are one thing, entire passages is something else entirely.

message 138: by Kristin (KC) (last edited Sep 22, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Kristin (KC) I agree, Taryn.

Stephanie-- I'm sure many authors may feel fanfic is fair game, but there's a difference between inspiration and imitation. Obviously, artists of all kinds draw inspiration from the work of others, but it makes us feel cheated as readers if the imitation is THAT extensive. We don't know what went down, but I see how it looks and can understand the reaction it has caused. We pay for these books, take our time to write detailed reviews, recommend them to our friends--just bc we enjoy it. At least sell us YOUR OWN work.

Again, not accusing here...but cut Ari some slack. She's a fair reviewer and I feel like people are going to come out of the woodwork to attack her opinion.

message 139: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 07:50PM) (new) - added it

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Bitchie's in an M/M state of mind. wrote: "Concepts and ideas are one thing, entire passages is something else entirely."

Just wanted to bold so that this concise point stands out. :)

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Kristin (KC) wrote: "I agree, Taryn.

I may be misinterpreting but I don't think Stephanie was saying its okay for people to do it. Simply that it seems to happen often.

Apologies if I'm reading that wrong, :-/

message 141: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Woods I will say this book does sound a lot like dusty.. But then I have 876875875 books that sounded JUST like fifty shades and twilight. Just about every author wrote their own fifty and Edward. Not just one author should be getting yelled at.

message 142: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:02PM) (new) - added it

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Yeah, but again, Melissa, there's a huge difference between 'sounds a lot like' and near copy/paste of passages.

eta: A run thru TurnItIn or similar program would be interesting.

message 143: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Melissa wrote: "I will say this book does sound a lot like dusty.. But then I have 876875875 books that sounded JUST like fifty shades and twilight. Just about every author wrote their own fifty and Edward. Not ju..."

The thing is that she wasn't YELLING at the author. She was informing those who follow her reviews as to why she didn't finish the book. And sure, ideas form out of other books... but line by line copied dialogue? That's a stretch.

message 144: by Has (new)

Has Plagiarisim is plagiarism. Stahl isn't being bullied and she should be the one who has to apologise to the original ficcers.

http://t.co/0Dho86G3Ps THAT link is from another reader who posted another example of the plagiarism. Shay is denying this on her Facebook page which is sad because she's giving other self published authors a bad reputation. She's only herself to blame and the fact she's denying this and getting her fangirls to attack is beyond pathetic.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Melissa wrote: "I will say this book does sound a lot like dusty.. But then I have 876875875 books that sounded JUST like fifty shades and twilight. Just about every author wrote their own fifty and Edward. Not ju..."

Not the same thing. At all.

message 146: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:11PM) (new)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Mahala wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "I'm sorry if the end if my comment looked directed at Stephanie. It wasn't. I saw someone post that this review had already been seen on twitter, so I'm hoping people aren't go..."

Bullying, bashing, attacking, Goodreads is the devil- It's what a fan of an author will use when a book is being talked about negatively that said fan loved. Seriously, grow up people. Not one person attacked Shey here, not one. People are simply in shock over it is all.

message 147: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Mahala wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "I'm sorry if the end if my comment looked directed at Stephanie. It wasn't. I saw someone post that this review had already been seen on twitter, so I'm hoping people aren't go..."

Excuse me? Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Reviewer integrity is what is on the line here.

message 148: by Kelly (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

Kelly Trobaugh https://www.facebook.com/SheyStahlAuthor

Her tag line for the book on her FB page, She's afraid to let go. He won't let her, is a direct quote from the Dusty summmary.

Just sayin'

Bitchie!!! on books Tessa wrote: "Mahala wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "I'm sorry if the end if my comment looked directed at Stephanie. It wasn't. I saw someone post that this review had already been seen on twitter, so I'm hoping p..."

That was sarcasm.

message 150: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan And as for the coincidental thing... I don't see how it could be. I was finishing up my work in progress when I read Kristen Ashley's Jagged. I started writing again and realized I was making my main guy sound like a mountain man. All clipped sentences and dropped g's. And my guy is not a KA alpha male, so it was weird! I was cognizant of that and took a break for my brain to refresh. So I can't buy it being a coincident. You're aware of that as you're writing.