A. Bookzilla.'s Reviews > NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

Jan 20, 14

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf-ed
Read on September 22, 2013

EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.
EDIT 2: Back up.
EDIT 3: For more examples by reviewers who made it through more of the book than I did, check out this, and this.

***************************************************

Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

I never rate my DNFs. Everyone who knows me, knows this. In this case, I think the book deserves it (as per GR guidelines, this review is about the book, not the author.)

Not to beat around the bush, I read up to 20% (ish) at which point I just threw my hands in the air and thought - I THINK I'VE READ ENOUGH.

For those who have read Dusty, the recently popular Twilight fanfiction which you can read (for free) here, step away from this book if you're not a fan of deja-vu.

Why is that?

Let me demonstrate.
"This is my brother, Edward," Alice says, pointing toward the boy with the same color eyes as her. "He swears he's cool because he's a sixth-grader, but he isn't even that awesome."
Edward pushes Alice. "I'm cool." He laughs. "And I'm awesome."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“This is my brother, Bensen,” Ivey said, pointing to you with a flip of her wrist. “He swears he’s cool because he’s a sophomore next year, but he’s not that cool.”
You pushed Ivey, puffing out your chest. “I’m cool.” More laughing. “And awesome.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 466-469). . Kindle Edition.

Ah, but it happens in every book. Two books can think of the same thing, we've seen it over and over.

How about 327050925629 same things? Coincidence?
"Isn't there a boy in that house?" Dad asks, finally putting his paper down on the table.

"A boy? Oh, you mean Edward? He isn't a boy, he's a brother." I stop pulling apart my hair.

Mom laughs, but Dad doesn't.

"I don't feel comfortable allowing you to sleep under the same roof as a boy, Bliss." Dad sits back in his recliner.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“Isn’t there a boy in that family?” Dad asked, finally looking at me, squinting at the last remaining sun peeking from the trees.

“A boy? Oh, well there’s Brady. He’s nine.” I stopped, pulling at my hair in an attempt to appear truthful. Sadie lied. I never did. So now that I was, I tried to think of what she might’ve done in this scenario. I could almost picture her pouty brown eyes.

Mom laughed; she knew what I was doing. It was how she worked him, too, to go shopping last week with Aunt Megs.

“And what about the older one?” Dad put his beer down and looked up at me, his hard brown eyes narrowing. “The one I saw holding your hand as he helped you out of the boat I said I didn’t want you on.”

I knew it was too good to be true. I never got away with anything.

“Oh, uh, well that’s Bensen. Ivey’s older brother.” There was no sense in lying now. It would have only made him mad. “He’s fifteen.”

“I’m not comfortable with you hanging out in their house with him. He’s trouble.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 649-659). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She's wearing a tight blue shirt and a black pencils skirt. Her high-heels tap on the wood as she descends down the steps. Her hair is an unnatural red color, but it's seamlessly curled and styled. And when she smiles, I feel Mom almost cringe.

Alice's mom looks nothing like my mom.

"You must be Renee," the lady with the deep-red hair says, offering her hand.

Mom flattens her curly hair before shaking Mrs. Cullen's hand. "Yes, and your name?" Mom asks kindly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
She was wearing jean shorts and a red tank top. Her hair was that same rich color as Ivey’s, the color of the canyons with lighter highlights throughout.

“You must be Kathy,” the lady said, offering her hand.

“Yes, and your name?” Mom asked kindly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 684-686). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"I'll want to meet some parents," Dad says uncertainly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“I want to meet their parents,” Dad said uncertainly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Location 668). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She'll be fine," Esme says brushing her hand along my long blonde hair;

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
““We’ll take good care of her,” Lindy said, brushing her hand along my long golden locks that hung over my shoulders.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 697-698). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"You're sleeping here? Why?" Edward says and Petey snorts. Ben just laughs. He always does whatever Edward and Petey do.

I think Alice is about to attack them when their mother comes in from outside. She looks over at Edward and makes a noise with her lips. "Edward, have some fucking manners and be polite.

That word again!

"And clean up before your dad gets home," she adds before stepping into the kitchen.

Edward looks embarrassed for being scolded by his mother in front of his friends. He tosses the remote control onto the floor and begins to clean up after himself and his followers.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“You’re staying here? Overnight? Why?” you asked, and Grayden snorted. Brady laughed, trying to fit in. It seemed he always did whatever you and Grayden did. Ivey looked like she was about to smack you when your mom came back inside. She looked over at you, her eyes narrowed. “Bensen, have some fucking manners and be polite.”

Now I understood your language.

You looked embarrassed that your mom scolded you in front of others. Tossing the control at Grayden, you began to clean up.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 711-716). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
Edward peeks his head out of the door. "What's the matter, Bliss?"

"Give me my nail polish, Edward," I demand. There is no way I'm going near his bedroom. My dad would be so upset.

Edward smirks a mischievous smirk. He steps out of his bedroom but remains beside the doorjamb. "I think I'll keep it, strawberry-blonde."

I make a face. "Give it back."

He tosses it into the air. "Say please."

"Please."

"Say it again."

"Edward," someone says from behind me in an all-authoritative tone, "give the poor girl her nail polish back."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“What’s the matter, sweet Sophie? You scared to get wet?”

“Give me my shirt, Bensen,” I demanded, trying to cover myself by wrapping my arms around my waist.

You smirked, mischievously. “I think I’ll keep it.”

I made a face as I neared you. “Give it back. I only have that one with me.”

You laughed as if my thinking you would give it back so easily was absurd.

“You’re not very funny.”

“Oh, yes I am. I’m very funny.” You smiled, your cheeks glowing a little from the sun. “And sexy.”

“Nope.” I blushed.

“You’re not.”

“Oh, what do you know? You’re thirteen.”

You tossed the wet fabric in the air. It slapped against the water in front of you. “Say please.”

“Please.”

“Say it again.” You reached over and touched my cheek and for a brief moment, and I thought you might kiss me. My stomach dropped at the thought.

“Bensen,” someone said from behind me in an authoritative tone, “give the girl back her shirt.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 732-744). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************

This is where I stopped, because really. I mean... I don't know. Speechless, stunned, you name it...

It's not only bits and pieces, entire scenes are happening the same, but maybe with just a word or two, added here or there, the names changed.

Sigh.

If I'm wrong, and the book can prove this is her original work, I will gladly take my review down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOT A BOOK.

09/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/22/2013
20.0% "Can't believe what I'm reading. Like, I'm literally stunned here.

DNF."
09/22/2013 marked as: read
09/22/2013 marked as: dnf-ed

message 1: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Wow! Absolutely stunned... I hope to god Shey Stahl ends up being YellowBella, or she just threw away not only her reputation, but career

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine She is not Yellowbella.

A. Bookzilla. There we go!

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Oh shit. :|

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Yellowbella are two girls called Mary Elizabeth and Sarah, they wrote the story together..

message 7: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna I don't understand why an established author would do that. Smh. Makes me wonder about her other books now.

message 8: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Rosanna, exactly my thoughts. Why? And if she'd blatantly steal someone's intellectual property for this book, who's to say that she didn't in her previous?

message 9: by Romy (last edited Sep 22, 2013 02:07PM) (new)

Romy She's not YellowBella and I can't believe this is being done. Dusty was the hard work of two ladies, I read it as a WIP and I can assure you they haven't given their consent to have this published by another author. It's completely ridiculous. PLAGIARISM is what this is, not a book!

message 10: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B I wish people who can't write would stop writing books. You have no right calling yourself an author if you need someone else's work to produce something.

message 11: by Mollie (new)

Mollie This is convincing at only 20%. I wonder about the rest of the book.

A. Bookzilla. Mollie, I didn't wanna go on :S

Now I'm just meh. Accomplishments? IDK.

I hope the girls that wrote Dusty get an apology.

message 13: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia I just started this, so far no connection but I am only 6% in. I will keep reading but if this is true, I will be very disppointed with author :/

A. Bookzilla. Let me know, Lucia.

Stacey So not cool!!!

message 16: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia Ari Bookzilla. wrote: "Let me know, Lucia.
Like I said, I will gladly apologize to the author and take my review down, but the proof up to 20% is pretty damning. You can't really dispute written word, black on white."

I will let you know. Know I will pay special attention to details!

message 17: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia M. wrote: "its all throughout the book stops after about 60%"

So basically half of the book...

message 18: by Mollie (new)

Mollie That's half the book!!!

message 19: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Monica did you read this book?

message 20: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I don't think in a million years she thought she would get found out. It was fanfiction and up until a few months ago ago only about 6 people on here had read it, you being one Monica, then it takes off.. also maybe she knew it was never going to be published so she took a chance..madness!!!

message 21: by Mollie (new)

Mollie I wanna see for myself. I think Stacey was setting up a Buddy Read for it. If you haven't read it, would you???

message 22: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia Her other published stories used to be fanfiction too before she published them. So why to steal from other fanfic story if half of her fan base reads fanfiction too? I don't get it...

Kelli C for "Cross" I just downloaded this...I am a Stahl fan...I have not read Dusty...might have to do both to compare...things that make you go hmmmmmm

message 24: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Why are you guys contributing to her books??? BR? What for?! So she can make money off of someone else's hard work?

Return for refund

message 25: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari thank you for posting.

message 26: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Rosanna wrote: "Why are you guys contributing to her books??? BR? What for?! So she can make money off of someone else's hard work?
Return for refund"

I can't judge it if I haven't seen it for myself. Of course, I'm going to read it and so are others. I bought it before this came out and we might as well put our notes together and get pissed off together if it's true.

message 27: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Setting up a BR and providing her with more profits is just maddening to me! Are you guys seriously going to contribute to this blatant act of plagiarism? Way to reward her behavior

message 28: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Its been taken off Amazon about 10 minutes ago..

A. Bookzilla. NO SHIT. ELAINE? REALLY? i have my copy here!!!

message 30: by M. ~ B&B (new)

M. ~ B&B Elaine wrote: "Its been taken off Amazon about 10 minutes ago.."

That was fast lol

message 31: by Mina (new) - rated it 1 star

Mina I'm appalled... thanks for the heads up.

Margey Sebastian she stole the title of another fic, to top it off!

message 33: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna M. wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Its been taken off Amazon about 10 minutes ago.."

Taken off of Amazon and Barnes and Nobles. She removed them. I dont think she would have done that if she knows she didnt do it lad..."

Exactly.. She knows she's done wrong.

Ash Wednesday Well shit , now that GR's new rules are in play how will I even remember she's a little plagiarizer bunny? O.O Because I wouldn't want to buy her other books even if nobody reported those as plagiarized. It just doesn't sit well with me. Just because nobody happened to notice it as Ari did doesn't mean she didn't do it before.

message 35: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Ash Wednesday wrote: "Well shit , now that GR's new rules are in play how will I even remember she's a little plagiarizer bunny? O.O Because I wouldn't want to buy her other books even if nobody reported those as plagia..."

Yeah, I don't trust her other books now. And even if she did write them fair and square. I won't buy or read them

A. Bookzilla. I'm still unsure which shelves are even allowed. I have a not-for-me shelf where I basically put everything - from things I don't want to read due to content, to things like these.
I have a plagiarism shelf and it's only because of Jordyn Effing Williams...

you'd think ppl would learn from others' mistakes...

message 37: by Patty (new)

Patty what if it's already been purchased? can i get a refund?

message 38: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Kara wrote: "Setting up a BR and providing her with more profits is just maddening to me! Are you guys seriously going to contribute to this blatant act of plagiarism? Way to reward her behavior"

Trust me, NO rewards. It would've been titled THIEF OF DUSTY or some shit like that. I can't believe that author. I wanted to see for myself, but the author pulling it....it's WAY to obvious that she's guilty.

And, Margey, yes, that's another fanfic's title. SMH

message 39: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Patty wrote: "what if it's already been purchased? can i get a refund?"

A. Bookzilla. Patty wrote: "what if it's already been purchased? can i get a refund?"

yes Patty, go to "Manage Your Kindle" and "return for refund"

message 41: by Patty (new)

Patty Done. Thanks guys. So sad to hear this though.

message 42: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Patty wrote: "what if it's already been purchased? can i get a refund?"

I wanna say yes.
Didn't people who bought that other plagiarized book get their money back?
I forget the name. But I'm sure amazon gave them their money back

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Ari Bookzilla. wrote: "Mollie, I didn't wanna go on :S
I'm really sad, I actually think Shey Stahl is a decent author (or thought, at least) though her books are not my cuppa, and I respected her for all she accomplished..."

It makes me wonder where her other 'books' came from and who might have written them first. Sorry...but it does.

message 44: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Just another day on GR. We'll probably wake up tomorrow to this entire thread deleted.

A. Bookzilla. i have my review saved eh.
and i have a copy of the book on my kindle app. they can't take it away, i paid for it.

Taryn at My Secret Romance And to think I was thisclose to buying her book! I thought it sounded so good too. Wow. This is so sad. Isn't she a best selling author too? Why would she do this?

message 47: by A. Bookzilla. (last edited Sep 25, 2013 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

A. Bookzilla. I think that's the question of the day. She has a fanbase of readers who ADORE her work, she's a (edit) USA Today bestselling author.

WHY ruin your career like so?

edited for typo

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Wasn't "For The Summer" the title of another Twilight Fanfiction also?

message 49: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Susan wrote: "Wasn't "For The Summer" the title of another Twilight Fanfiction also?"

Yes, Susan.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan Mollie wrote: "Susan wrote: "Wasn't "For The Summer" the title of another Twilight Fanfiction also?"

Yes, Susan."

Wow....just wow. I don't get it. Why?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11