notgettingenough 's Reviews > Madame Bovary

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: pre20th-century
Read in April, 2009

added 1 September 2010

Oh, I adore this piece of marketing. How Amazon sells Madame B.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert: French Erotic Romance Novel: Classic Nude Art Pictures (Romantic Fiction Stories: Love, Seduction & Fantasy)

-------------------------------------------------

For the rest, please go here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpres...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Bovary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trevor Wonderful review - thank you. I read an essay this morning that mockingly said that 'love' is the only four letter word not in common use in polite society.

Daniel That's a lovely review. Thank you.

message 3: by notgettingenough (last edited Nov 17, 2009 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

notgettingenough Trevor, having read your review of this book earlier today, I've spent the morning wondering about the implications of Emma's connection to both Nora and Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk.

Is it no more than that the same human predicament takes us all to different places, in different ways?

It makes me realise more clearly that Emma is Everybody. Maybe those who don't like her don't like themselves. Or are they jealous of the idea of following beliefs or looking for happiness.

Trevor I really, really like what you have done here with Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk. I've never seen the opera but have always meant to. Shostakovich is one of my all time favourite composers. I love his string quartets and his 10th and 11th symphonies more than it is possible to say. What is interesting here is that we have both found we had to talk about other female characters as a way to approach Emma. Now, isn't that interesting? We have both needed to move from the known to get to the unknown. Perhaps that is always how Emma must be approached.

Tatiana The thing that disappointed me about that book is that to me it seemed the author did not like any of his characters. There was nobody that he portrayed sympathetically. So it seemed to me to be quite sad for that reason. And I was a bit annoyed at him before the end. I later read that he said Emma Bovary was himself, which made me like him and the book a bit more, as perhaps a dispassionate look at his own past mistakes. I still wish I had seen some light of redemption there, I guess. Though perhaps he wrote none because he felt none. Poor Flaubert!

Alan a very sobering addition to this thoughtful review, NGE. I always rooted for Emma, even while feeling also for her husband. Emma is life, possibility, until she ends it.

notgettingenough Alan wrote: "a very sobering addition to this thoughtful review, NGE. I always rooted for Emma, even while feeling also for her husband. Emma is life, possibility, until she ends it."

Maths really isn't my thing. I've tried it for a few days...and I'm not saying I've put acid on the shopping list, but.

Alan I'd say try marijuana but I've just read your views on it.

notgettingenough Alan wrote: "I'd say try marijuana but I've just read your views on it."

I couldn't imagine anything that would be more destructive to a person who wasn't happy. Downright dangerous, I'd say.

message 10: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars