notgettingenough 's Reviews > The Golden Apples of the Sun

The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

Bradbury on the sea:

"One day many years ago a man walked along and stood in the sound of the ocean on a cold sunless shore and said "We need a voice to call across the water, to warn ships; I'll make one. I'll make a voice that is like an empty bed beside you all night long, and like an empty house when you open the door, and like the trees in autumn with no leaves. A sound like the birds flying south, crying, and a sound like November wind and the sea on the hard, cold shore. I'll make a sound that's so alone that no one can miss it, that whoever hears it will weep in their souls, and to all who hear it in the distant towns. I'll make me a sound and an apparatus and they'll call it a Fog Horn and whoever hears it will know the sadness of eternity and the briefness of life."

And although he writes of a beast of a hundred miles and a million years below who comes to the horn, to love it, I recalled it as I grew older as a whale and with this one story as child I was able to be horrified by the terrible, terrible things we do to the sea and its inhabitants. Does that matter? I think so. If everybody in the world had read this story as a child, we'd treat those things with the care and respect they deserve.

I cannot begin to say how wrong the people are who think that Ray Bradbury doesn't count, that he is for some period where we believed in things that we don't any more. He makes things important without proseltysing. It was a story about something that can't even exist and yet!

Bradbury explained his influence on kids like me thus:

Do you know why teachers use me? Because I speak in tongues. I write metaphors. Every one of my stories is a metaphor you can remember. The great religions are all metaphor. We appreciate things like Daniel and the lion’s den, and the Tower of Babel. People remember these metaphors because they are so vivid you can’t get free of them and that’s what kids like in school. They read about rocket ships and encounters in space, tales of dinosaurs. All my life I’ve been running through the fields and picking up bright objects. I turn one over and say, Yeah, there’s a story. And that’s what kids like. Today, my stories are in a thousand anthologies. And I’m in good company. The other writers are quite often dead people who wrote in metaphors: Edgar Allan Poe, Herman Melville, Washington Irving, Nathaniel Hawthorne. All these people wrote for children. They may have pretended not to, but they did.

Sorry. I want to say how amazing he is, again! He IS!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Apples of the Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paul yes, I agree. I loved this one.

notgettingenough Paul wrote: "yes, I agree. I loved this one."

Damnit, Paul. What sort of argument can we have now? I'm going to bed then.

Paul We could argue about which story is the best! I think it's either the Great Wide World Over There or The Big Black and White Game. A Sound of Thunder has been ripped off so many times its power has been lost. I have to confess there are six or seven I've completely forgotten.

notgettingenough Paul wrote: "We could argue about which story is the best! I think it's either the Great Wide World Over There or The Big Black and White Game. A Sound of Thunder has been ripped off so many times its power has been lost..."

Oh, but surely not. Surely when you realise what an amazing thing he did here, chaos theory before chaos theory happened. And a butterfly, when that became the thing, the butterfly effect, later.

You can find the story here: http://www.scaryforkids.com/a-sound-o...

if you are curious.

Surely if you realise that, it is incidental that it has been copied ad infinitum.

Ray Bradbury once said 'A conglomerate heap of trash, that’s what I am. But it burns with a high flame.'

A high flame indeed.

Paul Hey Miss Not, I wrote my own RB review (The October Country). I was inspired by your reaction to the Something Wicked review, so it's like an antidote and i hope you like it. Anyway, yes, i know you are really right about Sound of Thunder, Jeez, i'm getting all fired up to go and reread some of this stuff.

message 6: by John (new)

John Thank you for that quote NGE. Maybe someday I'll read Ray B. but for now that piece will do.