Emily's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Oct 10, 09

bookshelves: book-club, fiction
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I guess I should start with what I did like about this book. Like the first, it was a fast paced, quick and easy read with vivid imagery. It's like it was written to be on the big screen. I was also very appreciative that Collins did a good job of reminding the audience of the important events and characters from the first book, since I had forgotten so much.

Now, on to my frustrations. I felt like I just read The Hunger Games, round 2. Same characters, same love triangle, going once again to the hunger games, once again doing the train, parade, training, secrets revealed at calculated times, dropping into the arena, fighting to stay alive, tributes dying...it was like, dejavu. The originality from the first book was totally lost in the second. The ending of Catching Fire, which I knew was going to happen all along, was how I had anticipated this book starting (since the ending of the first book clearly alluded to it). So I read quickly, not because I didn't know what was going to happen, but because I wanted to get there already. I guess I just didn't think this second book was necessary, like filler in the series to make it a trilogy. Even Katniss hasn't matured or changed since she the first book, still indecisive and a bit clueless. It kind of makes me wonder why these two great guys are so in love with her (reminds me a bit of the Twilight series in that aspect). And I could definately do without the soap opera cliffhanger endings. I am anxious for the last book so I can finally get a good solid ending, with some kind of closure.

At least Gale is an incredibly hot rebel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.