Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Night Angel Trilogy

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Oct 06, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy

Surprisingly good book. I picked it up on the strength of it's cover blurb and a couple of reader reviews. You won't find any deep truths of life, there aren't any insights into life (well maybe a few) but you will get a good novel. (Actually a set of novels as this is the trilogy in one volume.)

I bought this through the Science Fiction Book Club and read it during an extremely stressful time (I read it in a hospital, in the waiting room or the room of my wife). It helped me out of this world and into a separate one.

This world is a somewhat dark world, but I'd say the word gritty fits it better than the word dark. You will need to follow the magic system here and put it's various components and levels together, not hard, but give it your attention.

BUT once you're into the book the real story is about the characters. Mr Weeks himself referred to this as a ninja story and in many ways it is. This will appeal to many people on many levels. It's adventure. it's "coming of age (a genre I'm not always taken with)", it is of course fantasy and fits I suppose well into the "epic fantasy" shelf. It takes place in a dark, dirty, gritty fantasy city so in a way it's even urban fantasy.You will however find touches of "dark".

I like this one and it comes just short of hitting my 5 star rating, only missing because when compared to the ones I love the most, I can't quite rate it that high. Still a great read.

So, join Kylar, Durzo Blint, Elene and the characters that populate this book. Learn the politics, magic and subtlety of Midcyru. Learn of Wetboys, Magi and Magae...learn about, The Night Angel.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Angel Trilogy.

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn I liked the first one, great review, Mike

Mike (the Paladin) I liked them all. I sort of just read through the trilogy.