GoldenjoyBazyll's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sep 25, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in September, 2009, read count: 2

Oh those Puritans...they just were not about letting things go were they!!!!! Come on let's face it....wearing a letter across your chest for an entire life. PLEEEZE.

I read this book in high school and decided it was time to see how I felt about it now that I am older and wiser (sort of) ;) Anyhow.... I really feel like Hester got the better end of the deal. Wearing the "A" brought resolution to the situation for her. Granted she was a marked/ labeled person but she also had an opportunity to rise above which she did. The minister- on the other hand- died a slow and very unhappy death of pain and guilt. Through Hester's behavior I felt like the "A" affixed to her chest stood for angel!!!! The woman was an awesome mom, an incredible neighbor and while she could have been bitter towards her lover and her community she had nothing but wisdom and compassion for them.

Truly she was a hero in the aftermath of a major misjudgement.

Also, let us not forget the miserable husband who was "wronged" (or was he- after almost abandoning her. A whole life seekikng revenge. No there is a sin of the heart if I ever heard one!

Reading this book brings one important thing home... Boy do I live such a peaceful life!!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.