Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy

Again...wonderful, amazing book.

My wife however (and she was 60 at the time)never got over this book and was hesitant to read the last book. I can't go on without a spoiler other than to say we get another tragedy and it really jarred her. So again I can only say these are amazing books! The very quality makes them so real to many readers. Same advice...read the book and decide if your child is old enough. But be assured the quality is here.

I do recommend these books and believe that "you" will find yourself reading them over and over. I picture someone in an attic years after their childhood, coming across these books again and sitting down to get absorbed in them all over again.

Review to be expanded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynne King Mike, The Harry Potter books are indeed splendid. I loved the first four books but nevertheless, I found the latter three to be rather dark and somewhat formulaic.

That said, JKR certainly managed to weave her own magical spell here. She deserves the acclaim that she has received with this spectacular series.

Mike (the Paladin) I really wouldn't call them formulaic. The story arc has been used before, but then that's true of most plot lines now. I think she did a good job.

On the other hand they do get darker and darker as they go. I've warned parents about that. Good books but progressive weight in the story.

My kids were young when the books came out and sort of grew with them. By the time the last book was out my kids were grown and living on their own. Now a child can get the entire series at once.

Still, it's an excellent series so it shouldn't be tough for parents to read the books first, LOL.