Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, ya-fantasy

I read this years ago...my kids were still young.

Did it bother anyone else that the publishers assumed Americans were too ignorant to know what the "philosopher's stone" was?
yeah, me to.

Well anyway, I've read and listened to this (these) and gone back to them several times since. Even though my children are grown I still enjoy this series of books. As originally written the series (considering the time between publication of each volume) actually grew with the first generation of kids who read them. They do get gradually darker as they go on, but (originally) the children who'd started were growing to. So, they actually matured with the story. (My only caveat is that parents should be sure their children are mature enough now to move to each volume. Now a ten year old could conceivably buy the set and read them one after the other, so, parents need to be proactive and be sure their "youths" are ready, mature enough for each book.)

I'm amazed at how much I still "feel" I know these characters and care about them even though they are fictional in a fantasy world. It's an accomplishment that's seen in the best of novels. Congratulations Ms.Rowling. While they have their flaws these are wonderful books. I had started to give them 4 stars, I give very few 5 star ratings. BUT upon consideration, I realized I'd read them several times and still enjoyed them greatly. These are wonderfully written novels. I rate it 5 stars.

This novel opens the story of Harry Potter, the boy who lived. We get to meet Harry, his aunt, uncle and cousin. We are introduced to the "wizarding world" and we go to Hogworts. And of course, we meet Ron and Hermione. I'd say if you're not charmed by this book and don't find yourself caring about Harry and his friends...maybe you should check for Grinch blood???

Enjoy.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

message 1: by Rickey (new)

Rickey I think it would be interesting to take a survey to see how many people don't know what the "Philosopher's Stone" is or a "Paladin" also. I'm guessing more than you think.

Mike (the Paladin) That's soooooo depressing... :)

Sath Oh wow, I was sitting here wondering what your comment about 'philosopher's stone' meant, and then I just noticed only now that they've changed the name. That's crazy. Didn't a similar thing happen with Philip Pulman's books?

I completely agree with you tho Mike, the cool thing about the books is that the characters mature through each one, but not just the characters.. the writing matures, and the depth of the story, and the dark parts grow in the plot, thats the most impressive thing about the series!

Mike (the Paladin) The great thing I've noticed (and it came on me after several readings) is that these books are some of the most "re-read-able" books I've ever read. C.S.Lewis once observed that a children's book that could only be enjoyed by children was no good at all. He also said that he couldn't imagine reading a book he truly enjoyed only once.

These books are I am more and more convinced over the years something fairly special and that Rowling has accomplished something fairly wonderful.

I keep picturing someone who read the books first as a child coming on them years later in an attic or something, sitting down and getting reabsorbed all over again.

I originally rated them 4 stars and later realized they were much better than that. I still need to "re-review" the later ones.

Treva I think they thought Americans would see the term "philosopher" and automatically think "Dry! Boring!" without any clue what it refers back to in history & legend. Yes, American education is in the crapper.

message 6: by Nahtan (new) - added it

Nahtan Resarf Isn't it called the sorceress stone in america.
I don't see why you need two different names for the same book, its just strange.

Mike (the Paladin) No the Philosopher's Stone is a mythological object or material that was sought for by alchemists in ages past (Nicolas Flamel was a real person and magician and alchemist who lived in the 1300s and into the 1400s). The book was named by J.K Rowling "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". For American release the publishers retitled it "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" the implication (or assumption by the publishers) being that Americans are to ignorant to know what the Philosopher's Stone was/is.

Of course that may have been born out.

But it still bothers me.

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Kamats No, the philosophers stone didnt translate in other languages so they changed it for the other languages, not america

Mike (the Paladin) Well that's a relief though I still don't see why it wasn't left the same for all English editions.