Karschtl's Reviews > Das grüne Akkordeon

Das grüne Akkordeon by Annie Proulx

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: biography, drama, historic, read-in-2012
Read from February 09 to 17, 2012

A story about a little green accordion, built by a Sicilian in 1890 and brought over the Atlantic with him. From there, we follow the path of the accordion and its respective owners (and they get way more lines than the instrument). All in all it's a biography about the US and how its built of and by its various immigrants. because all of the owners either came from Europe themselves recently or their parents were immigrants.

At the beginning I felt sad for the fate of the builder of the accordion. But soon it became clear that all of the following ppl had sad things happening in their lives, and my pity became less and less. I probably just didn't care anymore.

I enjoyed reading the book, but after a certain amount of time it was also arduous to keep reading. After all, the book has 669 pages! The last couple of owners, who don't even use the accordion anymore for playing music, were less and less interesting to me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Das grüne Akkordeon.