MelissaB's Reviews > Somewhere in Time

Sep 27, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, exotic-locations, time-travel-romance
Read in September, 2009

*************3 1/2 stars***************

Somewhere in Time had a very interesting setting and premise but faltered somewhat in the execution. Aurora is a captain in the United States Air Force who is flying a supply plane with her co-pilot Charlie over the Iraqi desert when a freak sand storm comes up. The sand storm causes the plane to lose control but Aurora manages to land the plane. She carries the hurt Charlie out of the plane just in time to meet a strange man wearing a red cape, short skirted outfit and speaking Latin. Pretty quickly it becomes obvious that she somehow flew back in time to the days of the Roman Empire.

Senior Roman Centurion Lucius Antonius doesn't know what to think of this woman in strange clothing speaking in an unknown tongue, so he decides to take her to his camp so he can determine where she is from and if she intends harm to the Roman Empire. He is the commander of an outpost of the empire in the Arabian desert, so he is reponsible for her. Lucius decides to have a tutor teach Aurora to speak Latin so he can interrogate her. Of course Aurora had some Latin in high school so she picks up the language very quickly.

Lucius and Aurora start a test of wills as Lucius tries to figure out what Aurora is talking about and why she acts so willful. Aurora doesn't want Lucius tell her what to do and is determined to find out what happened to her co-pilot Charlie. Lucius decides he is going to possess Aurora because he finds her attractive and thinks she needs some taming since she never listens to him. So he sets out to seduce her and make her willing to stay with him.

This story was okay, I liked Lucius a lot but Aurora got on my nerves big time. She was very abrasive and brash. She always did things impulsively and didn't show much intelligence with her thought processes. She stood up to Lucius in front of his men which is a huge no-no in those times and she just thought it was her right to do whatever she wanted. She showed no thought to observing the time period and customs and pretty much thought Lucius should adapt to suit her. I think Lucius should have showed her the consequences of her actions a bit more and gave her the spanking he was threatening. She has a major TSTL moment that showed no thought to the end result of her actions and Lucius had to pay the price for her actions by fighting a bear in a stadium. Aurora makes sure that Lucius knows she was a warrior in her time and he should treat her with respect because of that fact. I think she beat the "I am a tough woman warrior" theme to death. Oh yeah, and Aurora treats the Romans to hip hop dance at one point. Yep. (I wonder if she did some break dancing?).

There were some good parts to the story. The setting was interesting, the Arabian desert during Roman occupation. Lucius was a good hero, I just wish he would have been a bit more assertive with Aurora because she was way too demanding - and I really can't see a Roman comander allowing a woman to talk to him that way and boss him around. The love scenes were not very descriptive but kudos to the author for including a love scene on the chariot (though it was so non-descriptive I wasn't sure they had done the deed until Lucius referenced it later). The background characters weren't really fleshed out much but it is a Harlequin so that is to be expected. Lucius was a good comander who never harmed Aurora even when she was practically begging for it with her impulsive actions. The harsher parts to the story such as slavery and punishments were very much glossed over. Aurora doesn't really seem to care all that much about the slavery as long as she and Charlie are not slaves (oh yes she is a bit self-absorbed).

So overall, the story and setting were interesting but the characters were not all that fleshed out and the story didn't try to be too realistic - basically you need to check reality at the door to read this story. Lucius was a good part of the story but Aurora was irritating because she was too abrasive and annoying. The ending was too abrupt, I needed a bit more closure when everything changes at the last part of the story because I had no clue how Lucius and Aurora would deal with those changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere in Time.

09/25/2009 page 1
0.4% "Interesting concept, hope it's good."
09/25/2009 page 43
17.27% "Hehe the hero has a chariot"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Wow. I don't think I've seen this one. I can't wait to see what you think of it. I like the Roman setting.

MelissaB I will let you know Danielle!

message 4: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Hmmmm, not the cover that I remember ...

MelissaB Scully,

Yeah, your copy has a different cover with a man on it. I think I like this one better because the guy looks studly.

message 6: by Dina (new)

Dina Melissab wrote: "I think Lucius should have showed her the consequences of her actions a bit more and gave her the spanking he was threatening."

What, did you really want Lucius to pull a "Clayton" to Aurora's "Whitney"? ;)

BTW, great review! Thankfully, this is one book I don't feel compelled to add to my out-of-control Wish List.

MelissaB Dina,

She had annoyed me so much at that point that I thought she needed to have an idea of the consequences to her actions (she was a complete idiot). Plus I think a spanking done the right way (See Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Lindsey and Maverick's Black Cat by Lena Matthews/Maggie Casper as examples) can be pretty darn hot.

Clayton the asshat is not included in the "spanking done right" category.

MelissaB Dina wrote: "Melissab wrote: "I think Lucius should have showed her the consequences of her actions a bit more and gave her the spanking he was threatening."

What, did you really want Lucius to pull a "Clayton..."

Okay, I guess if you don't like spankings as punishment, Lucius could have explained the Roman punishments for various actions to Aurora which might have scared her into growing a brain and some discretion. Something like "A slave who tries to run away must fight random animal such as bear or tiger with only a sword in the arena" or "will be dragged behind chariot or put in a cage " - which was apparently another possible punishment. I think she really had no idea what could happen to her. I don't think Aurora studied much history during her education.

message 9: by Dina (new)

Dina Melissab wrote: "Plus I think a spanking done the right way (See Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Lindsey and Maverick's Black Cat by Lena Matthews/Maggie Casper as examples) can be pretty darn hot."

But then Aurora would keep acting stupid just to be "properly spanked", LOL.

message 10: by MelissaB (last edited Sep 27, 2009 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Dina wrote: "Melissab wrote: "Plus I think a spanking done the right way (See Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Lindsey and Maverick's Black Cat by Lena Matthews/Maggie Casper as examples) can be pretty darn hot."
..."

Ahhh that we should all be so lucky to be spanked by tight-buns Lucius

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly But then Aurora would keep acting stupid just to be "properly spanked", LOL.

Now your getting it! :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Sounds like this could have been a really cool book with a better heroine.

message 13: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Melissab wrote: "Dina,

Great review Melissa! I'll get around to reading this one day but I'm not tempted to pull it to the top of Mount TBR.

Now if he'd actually spanked her ...

message 14: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully But then Aurora would keep acting stupid just to be "properly spanked", LOL.

Well I know I would ;-)

message 15: by MelissaB (last edited Sep 27, 2009 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Agent wrote: "Melissab wrote: "Dina,

Scully, I am glad you are not trying to put this on top of the TBR pile..cause I have your copy :) BTW, did you get that email I sent you a week ago asking if you wanted some books? I may send out some of your books out this week so let me know if you want them
or any additional books of mine.

message 16: by AgentScully (last edited Sep 27, 2009 03:45PM) (new) - added it

AgentScully "I was annoyed at her but then Lucius started talking about spanking her and I started rubbing my hands together in anticipation....but it didn't happen, more's the pity..."

Bahhh! Don't you just hate when the hero threatens a spanking and you get all excited and then... poof ... nothing??

I'm sending you an email Melissa.

message 17: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Melissa~