Arlene's Reviews > The Everafter

The Everafter by Amy Huntley

Feb 19, 2010

bookshelves: ghosts, paranormal, read-2010, ya-contemporary, young-adult
Read from February 16 to 19, 2010

Okay, this book creeped me out just a little bit, more towards the middle to the end, but I was definitely creeped out. The Everafter by Amy Huntley is a supernatural, ya mystery/romance coupled with a ghost story. Sounds like quite the eclectic mix, right? Well no worries, it all blends very well together and takes you on a journey of the afterlife as Huntley perceives it.

Madison Stanton is sure about one thing, she is dead and in a place she calls "is," which is an oblivion where lost things swirl around her spirit. As she captures these items and holds them, it takes Maddy back to the moment when she lost the object. As long as the object remains lost, she can continue to return to that time in her life. In her new existence she revisits random times in her life from infancy but never past the age of seventeen. So you wonder, did she die at seventeen? How did she die? Why was another ghost apologizing to Maddy? And more importantly who killed her? Was it Tammy the drug dealer? The crazy ex-girlfriend of her boyfriend Gabriel? Her best friend's mother? The final scene takes her to the moment of her death, and the ending is climactic and riveting. The epilogue will leave you with the perfect sense of closure with a hint of regret for the final character in the book.

Great story that has you pondering the existence of life after death, what that might look like and where do we come from considering the basic law of Physics claims that energy is neither created nor destroyed. This ghost story kind of had me looking over my shoulder as I got the sense that someone was watching. Creepy, but good creepy!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Everafter.

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah This sounds really good. You sold me with the part about looking over your shoulder! I love stuff like that.

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "This sounds really good. You sold me with the part about looking over your shoulder! I love stuff like that.
"

I think I was in a trance for a bit. It was really good. Just need to get past the first 50 pages and figure it out. It's been a while since I've been creeped out by a book. LOL