Kay Fair's Reviews > Heroic Measures

Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment

F 50x66
Sep 25, 09

Read in August, 2009

Just plane reading. Heroic Measures, by Jill Ciment is one of those novels that writers love. It reminds us what a true artist of the craft can do in taking a seemingly trivial and peripheral story and somehow make us care. The story centers around an elderly couple in New York City, attempting to sell their apartment amidst the personal crisis of their dachshund's pending surgery, as well as the city-wide crisis of a possible terrorist attack in the Midtown Tunnel. By all logic, this novel should have been dry and spiritless and left the reader feeling completely unsatisfied with its somewhat abrupt ending. However, Jill Ciment makes us care. She makes us involved and invested in this peak into the life of a couple which spans a mere weekend.

I was destined to enjoy this book. It touches on two of my all-time favorite subjects: dachshunds and the search for home. Note that I said the search for home not a home. Home can be any number of places and need not be defined by the few square feet where you store your furniture. I've found home in some of the most unexpected of places. Outside Penn station, for example, where I stood crying, staring up at the city lights before me, knowing I was home at last. Home is a brief glimpse of belonging, simply that. And it has very little to do with mortgages, insurance, or designer guest towels. (Complete review available at www.whatrefuge.blogspot.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroic Measures.