Katie's Reviews > Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story

Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All by Christina Thompson

1912695
May 13, 10

Read from April 19 to May 07, 2010

Kelly, thank you for loaning me this book, you knew I'd love it!! How do you not love a story that starts with a hatpin through Boston to the other side of the globe, includes a love story that begins with a bar fight between a Maori and a Pakeha, and ultimately is an entertaining and quirky commentary on the long-term effects of colonization (or "civilizing" uncharted land as our adventurous European ancestors liked to think of it).
One of my favorite lines in this book is on p. 87 and starts: "But shift the lens ever so slightly..." What I really loved is that the author is clearly very knowledgable, and presents factual information about the Maori people and their history, but she looks at the story from both sides. Thompson blends her own American upbringing and European ancestral point-of-view with that of her Maori husband's (and now her childrens').
As a side note, I found the chapter about returning to America and finding out she's pregnant (with no health insurance) was one of my favorite parts and was so current . When she talks about how Seven doesn't realize the seriousness of the situation because he'd grown up with Nationalized healthcare, I got goose bumps. Pretty relevant to today's current events...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All.