Ken Kugler's Reviews > Mistress of the Art of Death

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Sep 25, 09

Read in September, 2009

Adelia Aguilar is a Doctor of the Art of Death, a forensics expert in today’s language. What makes so special is this story is rooted in the late 12th century. Adelia is from Salerno Italy where she was given an education and raised as an atheist. Both are highly unusual but her parents were also doctors and from different religions.

The story starts off with the gruesome murders of children in Cambridge. The local Jews are blamed for it and King Henry II has doubts of who the murderer is and needs to prove it. He writes to his cousin, the King of Sicily, and asks for help and is sent Adelia, Mansur, a Muslim and Simon of Naples. Together they set out for England to determine who have been killing the children.
Being a woman, Adelia can not be called the Doctor and Mansur is the "front man" so to speak.

While this book was not the page turner that I thought that it would be I quickly was drawn into the story. The feel of the story was compelling but in a subtle way. By the end of the story I was looking forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Art of Death.