Mike Jensen's Reviews > The Truth with Jokes

The Truth with Jokes by Al Franken

Sep 25, 09

Read in January, 2008

I had an office at the VA when I read this book, and was seen during lunch breaks with it open before me. I can't tell you how many veterans, some obviously wounded in Iraq, stopped to tell me what a great book this is. I'm sure it was more than a dozen. In George W. Bush's America, they were grateful that Franken told the truth about why we were really fighting overseas and the right wing media that helped the administration sell the war to the American people. Perhaps the need for this book seems less pressing now, but it is still an excellent critique of Fox News and other truth-shirkers that very much applies today. It is also still timely for the way it shows how far the US has fallen from the "idea" of a democracy we all grew up believing, and the birthers and anti-health care shout-downers demonstrate today. Debate is crippled to America today, and the truth--and therefore sound policy--is not possible without fair debate. This book is extremely well documented, and cogently argued. It is also funny, sometimes very funny. The only flaw is that the jokes sometimes go on a bit long when you want to get to the next point. This will NOT bother many people as much as it does me. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth with Jokes.