Savannah's Reviews > An Echo in the Bone

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

F 50x66
Jan 25, 2010

Read in September, 2009

I made it to the bookstore with only minutes to spare! They had almost closed their doors, but knew better when they saw the crazy person running down the mall. LOL. I was so excited to read this book, I mean waiting 4 years is a long time! It was, as always, beautifully written. There were twists and turns that captured the mind, especially if you're a fan of the previous novels. I had one problem with this book, the only thing I've ever had a problem with in the whole series, the story line with Jemmy, Bree and Roger was just left hanging. I'm sure the wonderful author has plans though, and as always, I cannot wait for the next book. All in all an excellent read, same as always. DG never disappoints.

*EDIT*

When I wrote the above review I was too shocked and heartbroken to say how I really felt about this book. The fact is, I was incredibly disappointed by the way this book was written. I'm going to make this short and quick, like taking off a band-aid:
1) The parts about John and William bored me. William should have remained a secondary character at least until he found out the truth of his paternity. As for Lord John, if I was interested in him I would buy the Lord John series.
2) The writing style in this book is very sloppy. It almost feels like it was written by another author. Her writing style was different and it honestly felt like losing an old and comforting friend.
3) The cliffhanging story lines ie: Jem and Jenny. I was left checking to see if pages got ripped out.

Being a die hard Outlander fan, it pains me to express my disappointment in this book. But the truth must be told. I will of course buy the next book, because there will obviously be a next book. However, I will read it with great caution and hope that it will make up for the disappointment I felt reading this one.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Bone.

message 1: by Stilwell (new)

Stilwell There may be spoilers in my comment.
But I agree with you.
There was characters that I had forgotten about that may or may not be part of all of this. The de Compt or what ever he is called from the second book. I thought he was dead.
It took me two reads to understand that Percy was Beauchamp that was asking about Fergus. I also had to read for the first time the Lord John books to know who Percy was.
I still am not sure what Richardson is?
I still am not sure what the jew raised, nephew, said son of Jack Randall is all about. There are so many twist and turns that - well maybe I am just not smart enough to read the DG books?
I did enjoy the love story of young Ian, I did enjoy Ian rescuing William from the dismal swamp, I did enjoy the reading of William finding out that Jamie was his Da and the whole mess with the marriage of Claire to John. But I am still trying to figure out the Beauchamps and Ben Franklin and Benedict Arnold. Too much - with too little information.
However; I will be in line for book number 8 and 9 and 10 to see how it all comes out!

message 2: by Stilwell (new)

Stilwell I also have a question???? well lots of them but this one at the moment.
Is Lord George Germaine the very same Compt St. Germaine from DragonFly in Amber book?????