Dave's Reviews > The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps

The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps by Otto Penzler

Sep 25, 2009

awesoem collection of very fast paced and fun Crime and Noir stories (which are all crime based of course.)
this is classic stuff real great when America was the gem of the world.
the Men were straight talkers and no nonsense, and the Dames were all fabulous be them good or bad.
it is a hefty anthology but you breeze through it. and you keep looking for more.
for the "PC" sensitive jerks out there, this is not PC.
when every one was an American in this country, if they had something different it was pointed out- so Black Jimmy was a Black guy named Jimmy (not African American) and "Dago" Jimmy was an Italian American named Jimmy how else would you tell them part in writing or a conversation?
and there is no apologizing for any of this as it was descriptive, and not diminutive or derogatory.
and women well, more often than not they were Gals, Dames, and Broads who could either make you forget about all the troubles in the world or be the cause of them...and well if you are a guy this is still true, you just don't verbalize it much- in public.
and that's the way it is.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps.

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David I love the pulps, but I hate the easy racism that some writers used to quickly signal distrust or villainy. I don't think that people take issue with a person being called black with dark features, you are the first I have heard complain about that. I also don't think that anyone cares if you state what their race is when that statement doesn't serve an ulterior motive.

Racism in the pulps is when Nebel has Crimes of Richmond City's Kennedy talk about the "grease ball bootleggers" taking over the city. You tell me what race he is talking about. That epithet is hateful, but it sure ain't specific. you need to start listening instead of building your own personal straw men.