Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Fantastic book! C. S. Lewis' first "novel" (actually Pilgrim's regress was first but it's a rather oblique allegory). It was and still is a best seller. I can recommend it to Christians and non-Christians alike. It's full of (yes I know it's a cliche, but here it's just true) "wit and wisdom". You'll see yourself and everyone else you've ever known well. You'll see situations that come up in everyday life. I recommend it highly!

This is probably my second favorite novel by Lewis...after The Great Divorce, and rates up there in my favorite books of all time list.

Okay...did you get that I like it? :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

Quotes Mike (the Paladin) Liked

C.S. Lewis
“She's the sort of woman who lives for others - you can tell the others by their hunted expression.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

C.S. Lewis
“It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chloe That's my favorite Lewis book. I read it first when I was... nine or ten, and then listened to it on tape, and then read it again and again.

Mike (the Paladin) I got an audio of it out of the library some years ago. I tend to listen to audio books when doing other "non-thought requiring" jobs, or before I go to sleep at night.

Chloe I used to read books and then listen to them when I was little, because I'm kind of dyslexic and I would sometimes miss things the first time as a kid.

Mike (the Paladin) I was a refrigeration tech for 25 years and I spent a lot of time in service vehicles. I found that I would rather listen to books than the radio (after I found audio books) back then there were fewer of them and they were on cassette. Now I listen to them when I'm doing something with my hands that doesn't require much thought, because I like them.

I have a couple of friends who have struggled with dyslexia. Both of them still have a certain amount of trouble reading. One seems to enjoy it more than the other. possibly severity or (of course) just interest level. Glad you can enjoy books.

message 6: by S. (new) - added it

S. J. I have yet to read this one, though I'm doing a Lewis challenge this year - already reread Lion, Witch, Wardrobe and moving on to Horse and his Boy - and this is slated for...May I think. But I had to say something when I saw you like the Great Divorce. I loved that book when I first was introduced to it, a teacher read it to us actually, though I didn't know the title at the time. I kept asking people if they knew Lewis' 'Bus ride from Hell' book and no one did.

Mike (the Paladin) LOL

That would be my favorite of all his fiction The Great Divorce. Of course in spite of the setting the book isn't actually about Lewis' view of what the after life will be like but more looking at how anyone would actually reject the Kingdom of God when given the choice.

It does open at the bus stop after death.

Enjoy.

Oh and these are more geared to adult readers than the Narnia books.

You might also want to try his Science fiction trilogy if you haven't read it.

message 8: by S. (new) - added it

S. J. Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "LOL

Yeah, I know. I reread the Narnia books till I think I destroyed the copys we had. I've read his Till We Have Faces book and have looked into the man himself more than once. His writing was good in Narnia but I think he really shines in the adult books he did. I have never read his Sci-Fi Trilogy yet, but that is slated in the reading challenge for later this year. I'm looking forward to them.

Mike (the Paladin) I'm a huge Lewis fan..."Go Lewis!"

David Sarkies I had almost forgot about the Great Divorce, but having just finished reading this book for the second time, it certainly is a classic.