Jacob's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: 2007-2009, 900-plus, king-and-lovecraft
Read in December, 2009

Title says it all. A giant invisible dome suddenly appears over a small Maine town, closing it off from the rest of the world. It’s another of King’s massive character stories, but this one takes place on a much smaller (and less epic) scale than The Stand. It is fairly interesting to see King trade in the Final Showdown Between Good and Evil for petty small-town politics, as unwelcome out-of-towner Dale Barbara and his powerless friends try to deal with Second Selectman Big Jim Rennie and cronies. Fascinating to watch the town destroy itself in barely a week.

The ending is a bit flat and slightly disappointing (I was hoping for showdown between some of the major players rather than, er, what we got), and the ultimate revelation about the Dome’s origin sorta fell into “meh” territory, but overall King’s latest, while not great, is quite the page-turner. Just try not to think about the Simpsons.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

12/03/2009 page 87
8.1% "Death toll from the first three pages: 2, and a woodchuck. 80-odd pages later: about fifteen. Birds. Other animals. And the woodchuck."
12/05/2009 page 215
20.02% "A bit disappointed that this isn't illustrated. I guess I was spoiled by The Stand the the Dark Tower books."
12/09/2009 page 625
58.19% "This is not as bad as it gets."
show 1 hidden update…