Echo's Reviews > The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition

The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. Salvatore

Oct 05, 07

bookshelves: fantasy

I think of these books as my guilty pleasures. Some girls read romance, I read Salvatore. It's not exactly the deepest, most intellectual fantasy on the market, but it is enjoyable. One thing I hear about Salvatore a lot is that he writes amazing fight scenes. This is true. I'm not big on fight scenes myself (they bore me usually), but he writes them very well and makes it look easy. That is quite an accomplishment. His writing is fine as well. My major complaint with any of his books is that they're just too predictable. I think it only took me one and a half books to figure out that if the main characters are outnumbered 100 to 5 and they're all talking about their certain deaths, it is perfectly acceptable for me to laugh and say, "Yeah right. I estimate they'll be out of it within two pages without a scratch between the lot of them." Why? Because I'll be right. (So right, in fact, that in the books I've read where he has killed off characters, I've rejoiced. Nothing personal against the characters, mind you, just glad to see they're not invincible. It gets boring after a while.)

But then, aside from the amazing fight scenes, there's also Drizzt. Like so many other people, I absolutely fell in love with Drizzt. If it weren't for him, I may have stopped reading the books a long time ago. And as long as there's Drizzt in the books, there's a darn good chance I'll keep reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition.