Jaspreet's Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Years of Cooking Dangerously

271946
Sep 24, 2009

liked it
Read in September, 2009

I finished this book at the end of September and I am just now getting around to writing my review. (Tisk Tisk-- Shame on me) Anyway, I read this book for the first meeting of the book club I started. Based on the premise I thought that I would really like the book. I feel like I can relate very well to the desire to have a purpose to your days and feeling like your job is sucking the life out of you. However, I found Julie to be a bit off putting. She was crass and whiny. At times, I hated the way she treated her husband. On the plus side, the book was good for discussion. My edition of the book had questions in the back which certainly helped us to have a lengthy conversation.

In spite of all the reasons why I thought the book was just okay, I did love this quote:

"Julia taught me what it takes to find your way in the world. It's not what I thought it was. I thought it was all about-- I don't know, confidence or will or luck. Those are all some good things to have, no question. But there's something else, something that these things grow out of. It's joy."

If the whole book had been written in that flavor and with that sentiment, I would have had a different (probably more pleasurable) reading experience.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.