Bucket's Reviews > The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: 1001-read-all-editions, experimental, history, literary, love, philosophy, politics, reviewed, sex, world-lit
Read from October 22 to November 04, 2010

This novel is chock full - of everything. It's full of philosophy, politics, religion, characters with depth, treatises on everything from God to art to music to shit, sex, comparisons, authorial interjections, and shocking images and events - such as the assisted suicide on the mountain top or several of Tereza's dreams.

I loved this novel because it didn't let me stop thinking the whole time I read. Having recently read Anna Karenina, I had fun finding how this referred to it, mainly in the comparison of several relationships. The repetition of themes such as betrayal, unbearable lightness, and eternal return lent this story a weightiness and a chronology that it would have lacked otherwise.

Everyone should read a book like this, where the musings matter more than the story but the story and characters don't suffer for that.

Themes: sex vs. love, betrayal, lightness vs. weight, eternal return, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, coincidence, weakness vs. strength, communism, Czech Republic, man vs. animal, God, "es muss sein", Oedipus and punishment for crimes committed unawares
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

10/27/2010 page 27