Christina (SteepedinBooks)'s Reviews > Unlikely Hero

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** 4.5 of 5 Stars

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
I’d heard a few positive reviews of this via my Twitter pals so I thought I’d give it a chance. I’ve never read anything by this author before because I’ve heard that many of them are M/M/M stories and I’m always a little wary of those. But I’d heard this one was sweet and after reading so many Harlequin’s lately (OMG! The angst!) I really needed something a bit more on the sugary side.

MAIN CHARACTERS:
Brock is a rich, workaholic businessman living the good life: the Lexus, the penthouse, the yacht, but he doesn’t have anyone to share it with. He hasn’t had a relationship with anyone since his lover, Eric, broke up with him nine years ago. Sure, there have been lots of one night stands, even some that lasted longer than that, but no one special, no one like Eric. Brock doesn’t see his life as particularly empty, though, not until Eric suddenly comes back into it and shows him what he didn’t realize he needed: a family.

Brock is a very take-charge kind of guy. He’s got money and power and isn’t afraid to use it to get what he wants. And what he wants is to keep Eric and Eric’s three-year old daughter, Josie, safe. When it comes to Eric, Brock’s got a protective streak a mile wide. When Eric calls him for help, he doesn’t even hesitate, despite their many years of separation. He just jumps right in and does all he can to help.

Eric seems like the sort of man who needs someone to take care of him and Brock certainly panders to that at times, but that’s only on the surface. Eric is fiercely independent and much more of a fighter than you’d think. He’s got a quiet strength to him, and a healthy helping of stubbornness, too.

All Eric’s ever wanted was a family of his own and because of that, he believed that he could never fit into Brock’s life. In the years since their break-up, Eric adopted a little girl, whom he named Josie, and the two of them live a quiet life in the suburbs. Eric is a dedicated father who has made many sacrifices for his daughter. When she’s kidnapped from her daycare, Eric doesn’t know what to do except go to Brock for help.

NEGATIVES:
There is a frequent use of “man” in the dialogue (ex. “I miss her, man”). It did make the dialogue “sound” more realistic, but was a little distracting when used too often during a conversation. Josie, while a very endearing character, seemed to have a larger vocabulary than your average three-year old, which made her seem older. This, of course, could be attributed to her having a father who is a teacher and who reads to her often. Even so, some of her interactions with both Brock and Eric seemed a bit like those of a slightly older child.

POSITIVES:
The romantic elements and the suspense of Josie’s kidnapping (and it’s aftermath) were very well-paced. I thought the author did a wonderful job of showing us Eric and Brock’s slow and steady way back to each other. I liked that they didn’t just jump into bed with each other right away, that they were both kind of feeling their way through things before making a definitive move. I loved the familiarity they still had for each other, even after so many years apart.

HEAT LEVEL:
The love scenes were well written and sweetly sexy. There weren’t many, but they did further the romantic relationship between Brock and Eric without being gratuitous.

LAST IMPRESSIONS:
If you’ve read this author’s books before, I’d recommend this as a little something different from his usual work. If, like me, you haven’t read his other books, I’d recommend this because it’s a sweet romance with a positive focus on what makes people a family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlikely Hero.

09/24/2009 page 46
22.22% "I'm loving this so far..."
09/24/2009 page 135
65.22% "My heartstrings are getting wailed on! No mere tugging here. /loves"
09/24/2009 page 202
97.58% "This would be a much shorter book if the font wasn't so big. But still, it's soooo good!"

Rossy Great review Anesthezea!

Lily Wonderful review, Anesthezea :)