Batsap's Reviews > Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward

Criminal, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker

Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in September, 2009

I encountered Brubaker first with his Incognito series and now that it's finished I've decided to try out some of his other stuff.

When it comes to comics/graphic novels I do tend to prefer all the superheroic kind of stuff, so Criminal was a bit of change of pace for me after Incognito. Not that I minded, it's obvious that Brubaker knows his gritty crime stuff and I love those kinds of stories when told from the criminal's perspective.

As far as things went, it had everything that kind of story needs - crooked cops, gritty cityscapes, feisty dames and the average criminal in the street; but that was all it had. There was nothing in particular to make it stand out above the rest of its genre, although I'll admit that the quality was probably higher than most.

In fact, what I probably enjoyed most about it was the Kafka detective storylines that showed up in various newspapers making a cameo appearance. I would have liked to have seen more of them, as they added an extra depth to the main story and I actually found myself skipping ahead to see what happened in the next one. Would it be very sad of me if I admitted to wanting to find the next volume of Criminal to see if the newspaper strips were a continuing occurence?
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criminal, Vol. 1.