EJ Johnson's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

F 50x66
Sep 24, 09

Read in September, 2009

An interesting and entertaining book about Jacobs' "quest" to literally follow the Bible for a whole year. I didn't know if this would be so irreverent and disrespectful that I couldn't read it or if Jacobs would be sincere. Although I don't agree with some of his social ideas nor his desire to always focus on the weirdest parts of things, I did feel that he sincerely wanted to find out how and why people follow the Bible. I learned a lot about Jewish culture then and now. I enjoyed his work on not sinning. I agree with others who say his wife is a saint because there is no other way she could live with him. Jacobs naturally gave more time to the Old Testament but I was sad that he changed the experiment when he moved to the New Testament. With the Old he was more individual and with the New he used more organized religion. I wish he had continued it alone. Of course, the groups he picked were more very fringe like snake handlers. I think Jacobs shows intelligence, humor and creativity in his writing. There is swearing and reference to sex and immorality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.