Echo's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Oct 03, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy, books-in-13
Recommended for: Fans of epic fantasy
read count: 2

"GRRM is better than Tad Williams."

It's statements like that that made me think, first of all, "No way," and second of all, "I have to read this guy now."

Well, I did really enjoy this book, but sorry, I still prefer Tad Williams. Martin's story was very interesting, the characters were wonderful, and the writing really was great. Sadly, one little thing took away an entire star -- the use of the "f" word numerous times in the novel. I'm not trying to be a prude. I don't have a problem with swear words in books most of the time, but in this case, it jerked me out of the story so fast it gave me whiplash. When I read it for the first time in the novel, it might as well have been the word "dude." In a novel that is based so closely on the War of the Roses, it just doesn't fit. And yes, I've looked up the origins of the word, but it still has a VERY modern feel to it (my grandpa doesn't remember hearing it when he was a kid, and I've never seen it used in any other historical novel of that time period), and I don't think it belongs in a novel where people say they're going to "break their fast."

Despite that little rant, I really did like the book and I would recommend this book to anyone who can take long, serious, epic fantasies with a lot of politics going on in them. It won't be for everyone though.

Second time around: I finally decided to continue this series, which means rereading the first book to refresh my memory. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Maybe because I had a better idea of what to expect. I don't think Song of Ice and Fire will make a list of my all-time favorite fantasy, but they're still darned good books. I do have to say that GRRM has a way with writing characters. It's pretty impressive how well-developed they all, especially considering how many characters are in these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.