Hillary's Reviews > The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

119238
Nov 17, 09

Read in November, 2009

I appreciate his advice - I really do. It's common sense, but it's the kind of common sense that people (myself included) don't always practice. But I hated reading this book. I found his "folksy wisdom," to be trite, sometimes condescending and often flawed. I know his goal is to be accessible to the masses - and given his popularity - he is clearly achieving his goal. But, Dave, let's just cut through the crap and get to the actual advice. The Total Money Makeover is about the Baby Steps - the first of which you don't get to until halfway through the book. Moreover, the location of the Baby Steps is not documented in the table of contents - which forced me to go through the entire book and dog-ear the few pages of concrete advice. I found this incredibly frustrating and wound it skimming most of the book until I got to the actual advice - I also skipped over all of the testimonials (it's great that he's helped so many, but the sheer volume of testimonials was overkill). I plan on attempting some baby steps, but have absolutely no desire to ever listen to this man on the radio or read one of his books again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Total Money Makeover.