Emma's Reviews > London Fields

London Fields by Martin Amis

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: alienation, fiction, london, madness-mental-illness, misanthropic, read-last-century, noir, underbelly
Read in January, 1999

To be honest I read this such a long time ago that I have really only retained impressions. One of the misanthropy (or 'nastiness') that it's steeped in. Another memory is a line (I believe it's about a rape?) that says "his two tongues entered her two mouths" or something like that; a little piece of violent ickiness that often comes to mind in inconvenient moments, and for which I resent Amis. But now I'm reading Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White, which (although I'm not far in yet) feels like a sort of echo of London Fields, doomed London triangles of bleakness only 120 years earlier. I don't know if it's too soon to tell. The other statement that comes to mind is Juliette Lewis' review of Gabriel Roth's (Woody Allen) character's manuscript in the movie husbands and Wives ... something about it being like Leni Riefenstahl, "brilliant" but "you despise the ideas behind it", which is of course to oversimplify but kind of sums up the conflict I have about these kind of 'brilliant'ly nasty books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Fields.