E.H.'s Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, theboxmarkeddone, memoir
Read in August, 2009

I picked up Julia Child's amusing posthumous memoir after seeing the film "Julie & Julia", since the "Julia" part of the film (which was adapted from this book) was so much better than the rest of it.

The book was sweet, touching on Child's relationship with her husband and their life in Paris in the years following World War II. Child, in search of something to do, attends class at Le Cordon Bleu and gradually begins to compile a cookbook of French cuisine in English. As the book progress, it grows into a master course on French cooking which will eventually change the way Americans perceive food, but not without a few bumps along the way (to begin with, who wants to publish such a behemoth?).

The thing that sticks oddly in my mind, though, is something I encountered when looking the book up on Amazon. There were numerous pictures displayed along the bottom of the page, all of them of Meryl Streep instead of Julia herself. That, I thought, was very odd - I can understand the switch on tie-ins with the film, but to replace Julia Child's image with that of the woman who played her *on her memoir* seemed almost like a form of censorship, replacing the tall, rather ungainly woman with the image of a film star - but to what end? If the intention is to make the book more appealing to readers, they should forget it - it's already worth a read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.