Mallory's Reviews > Smoky Night

Smoky Night by Eve Bunting

Awards Won: Caldecott Medal (1995), American Library Assocation (ALA) Notable Book
Age Level: 4-8

Smoky Night is a very thought provoking book that depicts many difficult issues. There are many hardships discusssed throughout the book including racisim, rioting, loss of a home, and the loss of loved ones. Though the story has a happy ending, I would not recommend the book for students under the age of 8. The illustrations are very unique watercolor pictures that give the reader a sense of being in the story.

Smoky Night is the winner of the Caldecott Medal, which is given annually to an author with the most distinguished picture book for children. In order to qualify for a Caldecott Medal, books must have a rich story that is complimented by illustrations that not only enhance the writing, but provide their own "story" as well. Smoky Night absolutely qualifies to be a Caldecott winner, as the story provides a rich interpretation of historical Los Angeles riots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoky Night.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Annette I just read this, too. Is it watercolor? If so it is very vivid. I like how you summarize all of the important issues included in the story.