Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > A Duty To The Dead

F_50x66
Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: 2009-audio-books, 2009-mysteries
Read in September, 2009

A Duty to the Dead, by Charles Todd, A-minus, narrated by Rosalyn Landor, produced by BBC Audio Books-America, downloaded from audible.com.

Bess Crawford is a nurse in WW I assigned to a hospital ship. In her duties on the ship, she receives a request from a dying soldier. She must go to his family and deliver the following message to his brother: “Tell Jonathan I lied. I did it for Mother. But it must be made right.”

Bess Crawford is wounded so has leave coming to her. She goes to the home of Arthur’s family, delivers the message, and is met with total indifference by family members. Their only concern is to find out how much the dying soldier actually told her about family events. He had told her little or nothing. While she is there, the doctor asks for her assistance with a soldier suffering from shell shock, as they called it then. The ensuing tragedy and the uncovering of other family secrets thrust her into danger and intrigue, including hiding Arthur’s older half-brother who escaped from an asylum. This is a very good book, and Landor is one of the best narrators.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Duty To The Dead.