Sara's Reviews > Invisible Lives

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: 2009, adult-fiction, chick-lit
Recommended to Sara by: Gwen
Read in September, 2009

3.5 stars. Cute chick lit story with an Indian flavor. Lakshmi is an Indian girl in her twenties who works at her mom's sari shop in Seattle and is under intense pressure to get married and have babies. She's gorgeous but wears prescription-less glasses to hide her beauty, and she has the ability to "see" the thoughts and desires of others in her vicinity, which makes her very skilled at picking the perfect saris for others. Her mom arranges for Lakshmi to become engaged to a guy in India, but then Lakshmi falls for an American who makes her inner eye disappear but her heart flutter.

I liked how this story was set within the Indian culture. The author did a good job showing the pressure that Lakshmi (and others in her position) felt to find a marriage that would uphold all their cultural traditions, and she did a great job explaining the various terms that relate to this culture. The characters were likable, although I thought the whole "I'm so beautiful!" thing on Lakshmi's part was overdone.

Some of the characters, such as Lakshmi's gal pals and the love interests, could have benefitted from a little bit more detail or fleshing out. Their personalities did not feel wholly real and instead almost superficial. I also thought the ending was a bit glossed over instead of being as detailed as I would have liked.

I wouldn't say I loved this book, since it didn't particularly stand out above others I've read, but it was a fun and easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Lives.